Suddenly Nameservers appear to be [Not Set]/[Not Set] after a few weeks of completely being unattended

Nameserver glue records are incorrect. The ns1.box.p.nixc.us and ns2.box.p.nixc.us nameservers must be configured at your domain name registrar as having the IP address 158.69.222.58. They currently report addresses of [Not Set]/[Not Set]. It may take several hours for public DNS to update after a change.

I have no idea why suddenly my DNS has fallen out of spec I’d disabled DNSSEC to try to follow along with some troubleshooting in another thread but that still has no effect. What do I do to resolve this?

It looks like you are using Namecheap? When you go to the bottom of the Advanced DNS page for the domain, and in Find Nameservers select Custom Nameservers, then type in your nameserver address (e.g, ns2.box.p.nixc.us), does it show up in the search results below?

Thanks for your reply! I’ve attached some quick screen shots from my phone.

On the Domain page for the domain, have you selected Custom DNS for your NAMESERVERS and entered those two entries?

The namecheap person said its because miab isnt offering an A record at ns1.box.p.nixc.us

Are you able to log in to the MiaB dashboard at all?

With a hosts file set locally.

Does MiaB report any problems?

Well the one in the topic there but at the moment i cant access any more info from my phone.

It seems like the problem is either with your Namecheap configuration or Namecheap.

It is common for low level support to not go a good job understanding the problem.

We can see that whois nixc.us reports:

Name Server: ns2.box.p.nixc.us
Name Server: ns1.box.p.nixc.us

When I look up the IP address:

$ dig ns2.box.p.nixc.us

; <<>> DiG 9.16.1-Ubuntu <<>> ns2.box.p.nixc.us
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 49068
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ns2.box.p.nixc.us.		IN	A

;; Query time: 20 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.70.1#53(192.168.70.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Dec 23 13:30:44 PST 2020
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 46

So Namecheap is not reporting the IP address you have put into the glue records.

Other than that nothing that really shouldn’t be there.

What do you mean shouldn’t be where?

Oh, and an obvious one:

dig ns pixc.us

; <<>> DiG 9.16.1-Ubuntu <<>> ns pixc.us
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 50499
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;pixc.us.			IN	NS

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
us.			900	IN	SOA	a.cctld.us. hostmaster.neustar.biz. 2027540791 900 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 20 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.70.1#53(192.168.70.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Dec 23 13:45:34 PST 2020
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 102

I have a couple of errors i cant recall specifically that have to do with the nameserver failure

Based on the screenshot of your Namecheap dashboard and the whois record reporting the NS record correctly, it seems like there is something odd going on at Namecheap.

I just had the remove all of my glue records and i manually re added them all again.

did you set up your box as box.p.nixc.us ? and let miab manage the DNS? It should create a A record that points back to it’s IP address for both ns1 and ns2.

This seems to be the behavior i should be expecting but there’s something wrong and i can’t figure out what

my question is, did you see the correct records in your mailinabox status page.