Suddenly Nameservers appear to be [Not Set]/[Not Set] after a few weeks of completely being unattended

It’s super strange because all of the other domains that I have using this nameserver work fine but the one that is hosting the zone files. box.p.nixc.us won’t resolve for whatever reason.

I resolved this by just “yanking out a pile of wires” until it worked again.

Turns out one of the domains somewhere in my MIAB was just too much for the MIAB instance I’m running here and it tangled everything up. I have no idea how to report this properly but if someone who contributes to MIAB wants to tell me what to do to file a proper bug report if there’s anything I can provide at this point I will.

Hi!

Could you elaborate a bit on this? It might be useful to know what happened for others in the future. Thanks!

You could open an issue on the project’s GitHub page.

I want to supply good feedback for future netizens but it seems completely unpredictable what record and for what domain will break my entire setup. Then because my problem supersedes my need to feed the internet with reliable clear feedback I do everything in my power to restore functionality as fast as possible to avoid missing critical emails. This is pretty problematic honestly and if it weren’t for this I would say that MIAB would be a perfect tool.

I would like to based off of this topic but I feel it’s redundant to copy over I wonder if the contributors will hear/read this and follow up or not.

Honestly, the only record that should completely break your entire setup is if you use a CNAME on the apex of a domain. Perhaps that was what occurred?

Well so I think I hit that once in the past but that was remedied once before like a year ago. That shouldn’t be possible if it breaks things.

However, this time it just picked a random point in time to suddenly become unreliable. I rebuilt the entire server and it carried over the point of failure to the new VPS frustratingly enough. The more frustrating part was I also run my own PiHole based Raspberry Pi DNS cluster and I thought it was something wrong inside of my network at the house there was a lot internally that lead me to believe this as well but seems that everything there is fine now. So I have no idea. I could post logs but I don’t really want to have to sit and sanitize an entire syslog to post it publicly.

For what it’s worth, although I try to keep up with the forum posts I don’t use the forum posts as a to-do list. The only place I look for ongoing issues is GitHub issues.

Hey! I managed to summon the man himself! haha that’s fine I don’t really need this on the todo list necessarily but I just don’t know what would be a useful Git issue from this and don’t like wasting peoples time when I don’t have a lot of it to spare in the first place. If theres a specialized command that will generate useful information for you I’ll run whatever.