Reset Admin Password

I forgot the admin password, How to reset it, Please help.

Detail:
I installed mailinabox few weeks ago and it did not worked for me.
Now I explored documentation and executed command sudo mailinabox and it worked.
Finally I can see login screen now. But Now I forgot the admin password. Please tell me how to reset it.
What is the path of password file?
I have root access to server.

Thanks in Advance

Mail Administrator Deserted

sudo /root/mailinabox/tools/mail.py user password your@address.com

Replacing your@address.com with the email address that you created when you created the box (or whatever your admin account email address is).

Run

sudo /root/mailinabox/tools/mail.py

for a full list of commands.

That solved my issue.

Thank you a lot for quick support. Mail-in-a-box is very usefull package and This forum gives best support
Thanks again

Hello, I am having the same issue … I have forgotten the admin password.

When following the instructions in this post I get the following:

password:
(again):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “./mailinabox/tools/mail.py”, line 99, in
print(mgmt("/mail/users/password", { “email”: email, “password”: pw }))
File “./mailinabox/tools/mail.py”, line 9, in mgmt
setup_key_auth(mgmt_uri)
File “./mailinabox/tools/mail.py”, line 47, in setup_key_auth
key = open(’/var/lib/mailinabox/api.key’).read().strip()
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/var/lib/mailinabox/api.key’

Can anyone offer some help? Thanks in advance!

Run with sudo! the last line tells you the problem “PermissionError” means you ran the command as normal user. Run with Root.

sudo ./home/username/mailinabox/tools/mail.py user password user@domain.com

I think @murgero is correct that this is a permissions issue, but the path in the command s/he gave is incorrect. See @JoshData’s earlier post for the correct command, and ensure you include sudo at the start.

@sdlg My command is correct for my system. “username” is replaced with the users login name, Since I do not use root to login, when I install MIAB it’s tools and scripts are put in /home/username/mailinabox" but if doing it directly from the root account it will be in /root/mailinabox.

Great. For everyone who isn’t logged into your Box, though, @JoshData’s answer is correct.

I am not denying @JoshData’s answer, I just followed the install instructions and that is how it was installed for me. For most people, I would assume the same unless using a VPS with only root access. :slight_smile: Cheers!

Logged in a standard user with sudo privilege and in my /home folder I had to run

sudo mailinabox/tools/mail.py user password your@address.com 

I was receiving the following

sudo: /root/mailinabox/tools/mail.py: command not found

Then …

sudo /home/username/mailinabox/tools/mail.py user password

substitute username with the system user account that you used when installing MiaB.