Postgrey testing

Hi,
I was investigating an email that reportedly didn’t get received my system. The same sender did manage to send an email some days later.
It seems the original message was postgreyed, but the sending email server didn’t try again.
The email servers for the 2 emails were different.

My question is. is there a way of probing a foreign mailserver to see if it respects the postgrey protocol?

Postgrey follows RFCs. If a server has been configured to not follow RFCs, you can’t know other than trial and error.

The mail log showed this for the first email…

Oct 25 12:28:54 dcwmail postfix/smtpd[15440]: connect from mailomta4-sa.btinternet.com[213.120.69.10]
Oct 25 12:28:54 dcwmail postfix/smtpd[15440]: warning: restriction `reject_authenticated_sender_login_mismatch’ ignored: no SASL support
Oct 25 12:28:54 dcwmail postgrey[15793]: action=greylist, reason=new, client_name=mailomta4-sa.btinternet.com, client_address=213.120.69.10/32, sender=mc.xxxxxxx@btinternet.com, recipient=peter@peterxxxxxxx.com
Oct 25 12:28:54 dcwmail postfix/smtpd[15440]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mailomta4-sa.btinternet.com[213.120.69.10]: 450 4.2.0 peter@peterxxxxxxx.com: Recipient address rejected: Greylisted, see Postgrey Help; from=mc.xxxxxxx@btinternet.com to=peter@peterxxxxxxx.com proto=ESMTP helo=<sa-prd-fep-046.btinternet.com>
Oct 25 12:28:54 dcwmail postfix/smtpd[15440]: disconnect from mailomta4-sa.btinternet.com[213.120.69.10] ehlo=2 starttls=1 mail=1 rcpt=0/1 rset=1 quit=1 commands=6/7

The successful email came from mailomta8-re.btinternet.com

Thanks
Stef Bishop

Thanks. I guess only an appeal to the hostmaster concerned would work. Maybe in their interest to know.

When the mail comes from different mail servers, Postgrey treats each as a new server.

You can use the whitelist feature if this is a regular problem.

I made this guide. It covers one specific scenario and the solution may not perfectly align with your problem, but the general idea of using a whitelist is what I was hoping to communicate:

Odds are their admins already know about the problem and don’t care to fix it.

Thanks.
I’ve put it down to a one off occurence. I will only worry about it if it happens again!
Cheers

Likely it will occur with email from the provider. They have numerous MTAs and don’t bother to configure them to resend using the same server.

This topic was automatically closed 40 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.