More power to Mail-in-a-box (fork showcase)

v60.1 (Full Release Notes)

It’s patch day!

Alright folks, I regret to announce that a stray tilde (yes! a freaking stray tilde) crashed the entire release party by basically making it impossible to receive mail. Oops…

:warning: :exclamation: So yeah - if you’ve upgraded to v60.0 already, PLEASE UPGRADE TO v60.1 ASAP (for your own good!)

Damn, those tildes, little buggers. :smiley:

1 Like

v60.4 (Full Release Notes)

Haven’t posted updates in a while, but there are some here. And a very important bugfix.

:warning: :exclamation: If you’re running Power Mail-in-a-Box v60.0, v60.1, v60.2 or v60.3, please upgrade ASAP - there’s a sneaky yet annoying bug that could render the box unable to pretty much receive or send mail. Read below for more info.

• If you’re running Mail-in-a-Box v60.1 (the original project), you probably should wait until they release a patch of their own. Otherwise, if you want to migrate over, I recommend testing it out in a separate box since it looks like the migration process isn’t straightforward. See this thread for more info.

:information_source: If you’re already unable to do either of these things, upgrading is enough to fix the problem. No further action needed.

:bomb: A pretty sneaky yet nasty and devastating bug

If you or any of your users use it’s password changing plugin to - well, change their password - you’ll eventually find out that:

1. You’ll be unable to send mail.
  2. You’ll be unable to receive mail.
  3. Re-running the setup, rebooting, etc. that will not solve the problem.

This was also reported in several threads in this forum.

You can read more here.

:desktop_computer: Command-line conveniences

If you’re a fan of using the command line for admin tasks, things just got a tiny bit easier for you!

You can now use the alias miabadm instead of having to cd into the mailinabox directory and doing management/cli.py. Functionality remains otherwise the same.

Usage Example:

sudo miabadmn user admins
1 Like

When I try to upgrade from v60.1 to v60.4, I receive this error message
mailserver:~$ curl -L https://power-mailinabox.net/setup.sh | sudo bash
[sudo] password for adm: % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 0
100 3220 100 3220 0 0 4778 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 13251

Updating Mail-in-a-Box to v60.4 . . .
fatal: couldn’t find remote ref refs/tags/v60.4
error: pathspec ‘v60.4’ did not match any file(s) known to git
Update failed. Did you modify something in /root/mailinabox?

Huh… assuming you did not change anything in that folder, that’s pretty weird. Try doing the following:

sudo rm -rf /root/mailinabox

(But if you did, to keep the changes, do this instead)

sudo -i # (goes into root)
cd /root/mailinabox
git stash

Then re-run the setup as usual:

curl -L https://power-mailinabox.net/setup.sh | sudo bash

If you ran git stash, you can then restore the changes you did:

# In a root shell
cd /root/mailinabox
git stash pop

Argh… I I’m not running the maib fork, but the “original” one…

Aaaah! Suddenly makes a bit more sense :sweat_smile:

If you’re running the original Mail-in-a-Box, you either

1. keep using it, or
  2. if you want to migrate, I’d recommend setting up a separate box and try the migration from a backup, since apparently it’s not as easy of a process as it sounds - see this thread for more info

There’s a slight confusion since the v60.1 from the original Mail-in-a-Box corresponds to v60.3 on this fork…

curl -L https://power-mailinabox.net/setup.sh | sudo bash
**** % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current

**** Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed**
**** 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 0**
**100 3220 100 3220 0 0 12352 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 12352
**> **
**Running migration to Mail-in-a-Box #15
**Error: in prepare, table auto_aliases already exists (1)
**> **
**Error running the migration script:
**> **
**Command ‘[‘sqlite3’, ‘/home/user-data/mail/users.sqlite’, ‘CREATE TABLE auto_aliases (id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT, source TEXT NOT NULL UNIQUE, destination TEXT NOT NULL, permitted_senders TEXT);’]’ returned non-zero exit status 1.
**> **
**Your system may be in an inconsistent state now. We’re terribly sorry. A re-install from a backup might be the best way to continue.

I get this error after running “curl -L https://power-mailinabox.net/setup.sh | sudo bash”