V0.41 still as latest at 'mailinabox.email'

@JoshData Noticed now v0.41 is still mentioned as latest version under Status / Current version section … Time to update it to v0.42b or not yet?

Well as we now know a direct upgrade from v0.30 to v0.42(b) is not possible we first should find a way to do clean that path and get a tutorial

!? That’s something well explained already… didn’t you know that before to try the upgrade + migration steps?

Actually perhaps you misread … the upgrade path was from v0.30 to v.0.40 at the time that was posted, because v 0.41 and later had not been released. Normally, it has not been an issue to skip a version or two or even three but that is not the case in this instance.

v.030 to v0.40 is an upgrade over ubuntu 14.04 but…
v0.40 to v0.42b must be a migration over an up-to-date Ubuntu 18.04 LTS server
CONCLUSION: A direct upgrade from v0.30 to v0.42b would never work

No there is no v0.40 for 14.04, just read the manual u just linked

I’m glad you finally got it. Wish you the best success :slight_smile:

This is incorrect…

What is correct is:

v.030 to v0.40 is a migration over TO Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. It is not an upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 … v. 0.30 was that upgrade.

Well guy I got it,… but u didnt read the manual u just linked,…

the curl in the manual upgrades you always to the latest version so it will not work any longer like it is written,…
Cose it discribes the direct upgrade from v0.30 to v0.42b(or later) instead the migration from Ubuntu 14.04/v0.30 to U 18.04 with the neccesary steps for the neccesary NC upgrades in v0.41 and than up to the latest version of MiaB

Exactly! So people who procrastinated are going to need to jump through some more hoops.

yes, sorry! >> In other words v0.30 is the last on Ubuntu 14.04 and v0.40 the first over 18.04 :slight_smile:

Right … and the challenge people are facing today is if they did not do the migration to v 0.40 or v 0.41 they are not able to do the migration to v 0.42 due to the skip in a major release of NC. So the solution is either a v0.42c which checks for this upgrade to NC or the convoluted fix that @Wojtek is trying to achieve for the benefit of others who have not yet migrated.

The way that always works for me is:

1. Upgrade to v0.30
git clone -b v0.30 https://github.com/mail-in-a-box/mailinabox.git
cd mailinabox
git checkout
setup/start.sh
  1. Migrate to v0.40 over a fresh up-to-date Ubuntu 18.04 LTS server
git clone -b v0.40 https://github.com/mail-in-a-box/mailinabox.git
cd mailinabox
git checkout
setup/start.sh

Restore the latest v0.30 backup over this step.

1. Finally upgrade to v0.42b
git clone -b v0.42b https://github.com/mail-in-a-box/mailinabox.git
cd mailinabox
git checkout
setup/start.sh

After installing v0.40 and importing my v0.30 backups everything was fine

runing sudo mailinabox ended with:

● nginx.service - A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2019-08-09 18:02:59 CEST; 53s ago
Docs: man:nginx(8)
Process: 1970 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/nginx -t -q -g daemon on; master_process on; (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Aug 09 18:02:59 mail.fav.ac systemd[1]: Starting A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server…
Aug 09 18:02:59 mail.fav.ac nginx[1970]: nginx: [emerg] SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file("/home/user-data/ssl/ssl_private_key.pem") failed (SSL: error:0B080074:x509 cer
Aug 09 18:02:59 mail.fav.ac nginx[1970]: nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed
Aug 09 18:02:59 mail.fav.ac systemd[1]: nginx.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
Aug 09 18:02:59 mail.fav.ac systemd[1]: nginx.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Aug 09 18:02:59 mail.fav.ac systemd[1]: Failed to start A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server.

should i move the file .pem just and then try the next neccesary MiaB (v0.41) for the NC update?

Personally, I am torn between that and nuking the ssh directory and making LE reissue the cert so that Nginx restarts properly.

I forget is the Ubuntu 14 install still around?

well i nuked is :frowning:

how the LE reissue would work just for the tutorial if its the better way?

Yes the U14 is still on my hypervisor host

Run ./ssl_certificates.py from the command line in the mailinabox directory.

I was going to say just copy the cert and priv key from the old install …

Oh by the way … there is an open issue on GitHub for this … just FYI.

July, 5, the date of your post at Github, perhaps was not the moment to update the website with v.0.42 (released July, 4) data but today should be for v0.42b (released August, 3) … Who knows! @JoshData has the last word.

ahhhh i really freak out… nukeing it was a horrible horribe idea now getting NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID when try to connect to any site cose of self singed,…