"Something isn't right" but no clues as to what "Something" might be

A couple of days ago a I tried to add a subdomain to my usually well behaved MIAB. I selected the domain, entered my subdomain, typed in the iP address and got

500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.  Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

So I went to the status page and found the following errors:

Secondary nameserver puck.nether.net is not configured correctly. (It resolved this domain as not_an_ip. It should be also_not_an_ip.)

And for both domain.com and www.domain.com

This domain should resolve to your box’s IP address (A x_y_z) if you would like the box to serve webmail or a website on this domain. The domain currently resolves to a_b_c in public DNS. It may take several hours for public DNS to update after a change. This problem may result from other issues listed here.

Thing is, a_b_c is an IP address I know and use - I don’t use it for this domain but I do use it for another domain on MIAB. a_b_c is the IP address of my home internet connection.

So the assumption at this point is 99% I did something stupid and 1% the API call I use to check my home IP matches did something stupid. But it’s easy to fix. Or so I thought.

I tried to delete and recreate the domain.com and/or www.domain.com A records. When I do that, I just get a message “Something isn’t right”. I waited “several hours” and tried again. And again. Same error message.

So I switched to log watching in the hope that there’s a solution there but the error that occurs doesn’t help me.

OK - I’ve had to edit this. If I post the actual error message Discourse won’t let me post it because I can “only post two links”. Not everything with a forward slash in it is a URL.

Edit 2: Nope, had to edit this even further. Seems I can’t post any useful error messages.

Edit 3: Ah, it’s a Discourse anti-spam “feature”. Apparently I just had to wait.

Basically, this:

"app.py"

is doing this

returned non-zero exit status 1

when calling

do_dns_update(env)

It appears to be saying that because the domain update didn’t have a non-zero exit code display the message “Something isn’t right” but it doesn’t tell me anything else.

Can anyone help? I’d like to avoid a reinstall if possible.

Thanks

Steve

we will need more from the logs than the “return exit status 1” bit…

OK, let’s see if Discourse will let me post stuff today. This is error when I try and create a domain

Jul 6 13:42:09 box Exception on /dns/custom/heresatest.mysite.online/A [POST]#012Traceback (most recent call last):#012 File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/flask/app.py”, line 2292, in wsgi_app#012 response = self.full_dispatch_request()#012 File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1815, in full_dispatch_request#012 rv = self.handle_user_exception(e)#012 File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1718, in handle_user_exception#012 reraise(exc_type, exc_value, tb)#012 File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/flask/_compat.py”, line 35, in reraise#012 raise value#012 File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1813, in full_dispatch_request#012 rv = self.dispatch_request()#012 File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1799, in dispatch_request#012 return self.view_functionsrule.endpoint#012 File “/root/mailinabox/management/daemon.py”, line 53, in newview#012 return viewfunc(*args, **kwargs)#012 File “/root/mailinabox/management/daemon.py”, line 315, in dns_set_record#012 return do_dns_update(env) or “Something isn’t right.”#012 File “/root/mailinabox/management/dns_update.py”, line 86, in do_dns_update#012 sign_zone(domain, zonefile, env)#012 File “/root/mailinabox/management/dns_update.py”, line 591, in sign_zone#012 dnssec_keys[“ZSK”],#012 File “/root/mailinabox/management/utils.py”, line 123, in shell#012 ret = getattr(subprocess, method)(cmd_args, **kwargs)#012 File “/usr/lib/python3.4/subprocess.py”, line 561, in check_call#012 raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)#012subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command ‘[’/usr/bin/ldns-signzone’, ‘-e’, ‘20180805’, ‘-n’, ‘/etc/nsd/zones/mysite.online.txt’, ‘/tmp/Kmysite.online.+007+59778’, ‘/tmp/Kmysite.online.+007+32738’]’ returned non-zero exit status 1

And this is what I get when I try and delete anything

Jul 6 13:45:38 box Exception on /dns/custom/gitlab.domain.online/A [DELETE]#012Traceback (most recent call last):#012 File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/flask/app.py”, line 2292, in wsgi_app#012 response = self.full_dispatch_request()#012 File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1815, in full_dispatch_request#012 rv = self.handle_user_exception(e)#012 File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1718, in handle_user_exception#012 reraise(exc_type, exc_value, tb)#012 File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/flask/_compat.py”, line 35, in reraise#012 raise value#012 File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1813, in full_dispatch_request#012 rv = self.dispatch_request()#012 File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1799, in dispatch_request#012 return self.view_functionsrule.endpoint#012 File “/root/mailinabox/management/daemon.py”, line 53, in newview#012 return viewfunc(*args, **kwargs)#012 File “/root/mailinabox/management/daemon.py”, line 315, in dns_set_record#012 return do_dns_update(env) or “Something isn’t right.”#012 File “/root/mailinabox/management/dns_update.py”, line 86, in do_dns_update#012 sign_zone(domain, zonefile, env)#012 File “/root/mailinabox/management/dns_update.py”, line 591, in sign_zone#012 dnssec_keys[“ZSK”],#012 File “/root/mailinabox/management/utils.py”, line 123, in shell#012 ret = getattr(subprocess, method)(cmd_args, **kwargs)#012 File “/usr/lib/python3.4/subprocess.py”, line 561, in check_call#012 raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)#012subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command ‘[’/usr/bin/ldns-signzone’, ‘-e’, ‘20180805’, ‘-n’, ‘/etc/nsd/zones/domain.online.txt’, ‘/tmp/Kdomain.online.+007+59778’, ‘/tmp/Kdomain.online.+007+32738’]’ returned non-zero exit status 1

As mentioned, I was trying to delete the entry to fix the Secondary nameserver puck.nether.net is not configured correctly. (It resolved this domain as 1.2.3.4. It should be 5.6.7.8.) error. I’ve also tried removing and re-adding the domain at puck.nether.net - this completes without errors but 24 hours later the error hasn’t gone from MiaB.

Steve

Is a reinstall the only way to fix this?