[Solved] Technitium DNS as a secondary nameserver

I’m wondering if it would be possible to add a secondary external Nameserver I looked through the webui for MIAB and couldn’t find the setting but I did get information from the Technitium developer that I should be looking to set some records to allow a secondary name server to exist.

You will have to configure the MIAB DNS to allow NOTIFY and IXFR/AXFR for the IP address that Technitium DNS uses

I’ve not heard of NOTIFY and IXFR/AXFR so I’m not really certain what to look for here.

Did you take a look at the very bottom of the ‘External DNS’ page in the dashboard?

I have quite a few domains the bottom is pretty far down let me break my scroll wheel one moment.

Yeah nothing interesting to note at the bottom of External DNS any suggestions on what I should be looking for?

Just in case my original post wasn’t well written.
I’m looking to run an additional secondary DNS not to use exclusively external DNS Technitium can apparently run in tandem with a different Authoritative server so long as what’s mentioned in my OP is configured.

You don’t see this at the bottom of the page?

oddly enough no but I’ll try some of those keywords.

Looks like its on the bottom of the Custom DNS page not the External DNS page.

Oh, sorry, yeah typed the wrong one there.

I’m guessing that underneath all of this there’s those records or settings that were mentioned by the Technitium developer. Its hard to say exactly without potentially @JoshData weighing in.

I’m not sure what you mean, but that page is what you use to add a secondary name server to MiaB. I have it configured for dns.he.net and there is a tutorial for puck.nether.net that may be instructive:

Thanks a bunch! I’m still somewhat hoping to hear about the technicals from Josh in case there’s something I need to converse with the Technitium dev about because I really want this to work smoothly.

Hey, I wrote the guide that @openletter linked. I have no idea who “Technitium” is but if you have a link to their docs, I’ll take a look.

You need from their dev the fqdn of the secondary and the IP address for the axfr/ixfr if it is different than the fqdn.

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s this:

https://technitium.com/dns/

1 Like

This is correct @alento

What specifically is it you need to know?

Hi @Ruseen

Technitium is a selfhosted DNS server mainly for using as a local recursive DNS server. In addition to that it can also be configured as an authorative server for hosting your domains, which is the same Mail in a Box already does. In their documentation they mention that it can also be configured as a secondary DNS server, but they don’t provide a lot of details on how to configure it like that. I also think that this thing is probably overkill, just for the purpose of secondary name server.

If you are interested in a simpler alternative, you can check out my guide on how to set up NSD as a secondary name server on a VPS. It is much more minimalistic. No fancy WebUI, no AdBlocking or other stuff you’ll never gonna need for the purpose of a secondary DNS server :wink:

2 Likes

What a great bit of feedback.

I’m glad it’s linked here. I have to admit I have ulterior motives. My eyes are set on testing Technitium not just for this but for a bunch of future infrastructure plans and I’m hoping to find that it’s able to conform to my unique needs over time. This being one of the use cases for me.

However I’m definitely going to check out and maybe test your guide thanks!!

I think that after a deeper investigation of the secondary server feature of miab it makes mention of one of the records that the Technitium dev suggested.

As I said earlier, you need two pieces of information:

1. FQDN of the name server
  2. IP address for IXFR/AXFR (if different than the IP address of the FQDN)

Now that I have had a chance to further investigate who/what Technitium is you don’t need #2 as it is almost certainly irrelevant in this case.

On the Secondary Nameserver line of the Custom DNS page simply list the FQDN of the secondary. That’s it. You’re done as far as MiaB is concerned.

You of course then need to go back and change the name servers on file with the registrar for all domains that the MiaB is hosting DNS for.

Let me know if anything is not clear, or if you have any questions.

1 Like

Beautifully simplified and thanks for documenting this for future netizens.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.