Services down during backup?

To prevent corruption. If a backup is in progress while files on disk are being modified, then the backup might see a file in a half-saved state. It might be safe to keep postfix and dovecot running, but it also might not be safe, so to be on the safe side we turn them off.

Is is possible to add an option that copies the files, backs up the copies and purges the copies (to save disk space)? I mean, Linux does have a file locking system (whatever “lslocks” thing is) so that applications are fighting over who writes to the same file. I mean, are these a lot of small files, or a few big files?

Those are both good questions that I don’t have answers to.

Ya know what is an even better idea? When the backup scripts are initiated, change the config files to point all logging and new writes to another temporary directory/location, restart all services, start backup process, wait for backup process, change configuration of services back to permanent directory, move all files (if any) from temporary directory to permanent directory, and restart services.

I have a question though. Ubuntu Bionic (18.04) is the goal for the next release. When and which branch could we use to throw in features that we want to work on? This seems like a feature we’d put a WONTFIX on for now until we can get the confidence to make the first ubuntu_bionic official release.

This is starting to become a major problem for me. I have so much email data and I don’t want to have to pay amazon (or trust them) or pay for another backup server when I got so much perfectly good storage at home. This backup process across the world to my home server with hundreds of GB can take hours. During this time everything is down, connections error out, the user experience is broken, and I have to pray I am not missing important emails. Any solution would be great.

considered using rsync to back up your mails instead, so you don’t copy the same backup repeatedly?

From your home machine.

rsync -avzh root@box.mybox.com:/home/user-data/mail/ /my/local/backup/folder

You may want to firewall your ssh to allow only your home IP (if your IP is pretty fix) since you open login to remote root access. Of course you can use mailinabox rsync option as well.

Btw, by not cleaning up your mails (especially attachments) and moving them to proper archives, you are already wasting money paying for hundreds of GBs of emails.

In my country, anything more than 7 years are basically meant for cold storage.

Mail servers will try to resend the emails to you after your server down time, so don’t need to worry about service disruption.

I use the built in rsync with ssh keys and dynamic DNS so that is all fine. The problem is miab still shuts down everything during this process. Nothing I have is over 7 years. I pay for a flat amount of storage so I am not wasting anything by using it.

While yes, mail servers are supposed to retry, not all of them do, and it adds delay to getting the mail.

If you are already using rsync then consider using your own backup solution like what i recommended instead of using the build in one.

You can set up a crontab on your box to do the rsync regularly manually. crontab -e

Since rsync checks the file hash for changes, you are unlike to get any corrupted files with the services running compared to s3 backup build in solutions.

nano script.sh

#!/bin/bash
rsync -avzh /home/user-data/mail/ /remote/dir/

make script executable

chmod +x script.sh

set up crontab with sudo crontab -e. You need your cron to run as root. add in the follow cron to run it hourly.

0 * * * * /path/to/script.sh > file 2>&1

PS: these backup files are unencrypted (unlike the build in backup), so you must secure it yourself

Edited A better solution would probably be backing up the encrypted files instead as suggested → Backup question,root as owner of backup file - #16 by alento

I think I am not understanding the problem correctly.

Is your backup process requiring the backup to be saved to an external server while all of the services are down?

Note: the only backup service I have used in MiaB is the default which creates backups in /home/user-data/backup/encrypted.

Well, anyway, the solution I currently use I do not like, and the solution I discovered I thought might work seems not to work, and I’ve tried going back to it every now and then.

The sshd service can be configured to chroot users using ChrootDirectory in sshd_config. What I’ve wanted to do is make a user than only has access to /home/user-data/backup/encrypted/ as the directory and files are all owned by root. That way I can just have a remote server log in, rsync the files, and log out, without fear that anything worse could happen to MiaB.

What I’ve tried to do is make /home/user-data/backup/encrypted/ the home directory of backupuser, but sshd won’t allow it because it throws the following in the logs:

Mar 10 11:40:50 mail sshd[18684]: fatal: bad ownership or modes for chroot directory component "/home/user-data/"

If anyone is interested, here is one article discussing a configuration:

yes the built in rsync backup method turns all the services off while transferring remotely. Even doing the backup locally and then rsync might be better… I can’t have hours of downtime…

I just discovered this isn’t working because of a requirement of the ChrootDirectory option:

At session startup sshd(8) checks that all components of the pathname are root-owned directories which are not writable by any other user or group.

So the only way to make it work is if the encrypted backups are stored somewhere outside the /home/user-data/ directory path. Well, answered a question for myself today. Of course, maybe there is some other way to restrict a user…

1 Like

interesting read. Will symbolic link of the folder work?

Not for anywhere outside of the chroot directory, so you wouldn’t be able to go from a chroot of /home/user/to anywhere outside of there - it would be like a symbolic link going outside of / for non-chrooted users, I think.

Instead of chroot, why not restrict your SSH port only certain IP? Btw, I believe generating the /encrypted/ folder requires the services to be down as well.

IP address limiting won’t help much if the device is compromised.

The down time seems to be from transferring huge files across the Internet by using the optional external backup location which I believe is configured in the dashboard and keeps the services from being restarted. If you don’t configure it, then the local operation is just the speed of the server, likely just minutes.

This is just silly. If you are using as backup, of course you need to ensure that “device” is a secure medium as well e.g. set up another VPS that have all your security set up, or use your home server but make sure the same security is applied.

If that’s what is happening then it probably explain why most of us did not see a long down time. We have most likely backuped to a location, with speedy tranfer. e.g. rsync to another vps on same network, or an attached volume.

Why attached volume / elastic volume

• it’s cheap.
  • it’s fast
  • if your server crashes, your volume is not affected.
  • you can remount the volume to another server if your server crashes

Then again my www-data is already on an elastic volume… headache, i think i have too many back up solutions in place. manual rsync, elastic volume, s3.

Have you found a solution yet? You mentioned:

This should be your solution, although I would approach it differently than suggested earlier in this thread.

I started a similar thread several weeks ago: Sever software shut down in the middle of the night (must not have seen this one).

I’m not convinced the network copy is totally responsible for the length of time the backups are taking. My first backup took nine hours for 150gb. This was just going to local disk, no network copy was involved. As a wild guess, I think maybe the encryption and or compression is responsible.

As a comparison, the same data on my old server took about two hours to send compressed tar files to another in-house server. This was done from an LV snapshot of the volume so there was no down-time.

Has anyone tried creating a snapshot on an MaiB box?

Recently scanned through the web and found find some post about duplicity being slow, when backing up large folders, especially if you have 150gb emails, which likely contains many many small files.

Each incremental update will need duplicity to scan through all the files, the lesser memory you have the slower it will be it seems.

If things are not going well with duplicity because of your large volumes, then probably a manual solution is needed, then disable duplicity by disabling miab backup.