Remove MiaB's DNS settings

Hi,
is there any way to remove MiaB’s DNS settings when using

• external DNS
  • local DNS resolver unbound
    ?

THX

What do you mean with this?

I take it this is a modified (meaning basically unsupported) mail in a box installation?

Actually this is a modification in MiaB’s software stack, means the DNS solution deployed by MiaB will be replaced.
There are technical reasons for this modification:

1. Many hosting providers serving DNS demand 2 DNS servers with 2 different IPs. MiaB is providing 2 DNS servers with the same IP
  2. Rspamd demands a local DNS and recommends Unbound

Of course it is cool that you want to fiddle with your box. I myself have done this plenty and learned a lot from that. But this must be clear to other people as there can be (unexpected) consequences. I would also expect a little more effort if you’re really hacking the MiaB configuration. So:

• what do you mean with “remove MiaB’s DNS settings”
  • what problem are you trying to fix?
  • what did you already try?

Some sidenotes:

MiaB provides support for secondary dns to help you with this. No need to use External DNS

MiaB already provides a local DNS resolver, bind9. Is rspamd not working with that?

I guess Rspamd would work with Bind9, too.
However I prefer Unbound for reasons like size and security.

Could you please share some more details on this.

My understanding is that MiaB deploys 2 NS in the same MiaB server.
I cannot enter these 2 NS with my DNS provider (netcup) because 2 different IPs are required for 2 different NS.
Therefore I maintained all DNS entries manually.

MiaB is working with my current setup with 1 exception:

rndc: connect failed: 127.0.0.1#953: connection refused

Which service is listening on port 953?

You should a different NS to ensure redundency. Either a service like puck.nether.net or an equivalent from your hosting provider

It is correct that MiaB sets up a single dns server that is reachable through multiple dns entries. As you note, this is not good enough for some top level domains, where a requirement exists to have at least 2 different name servers.
The Secondary DNS functionality supports this by enabling external slave dns servers to act as a nameserver for MiaB. The DNS configuration is then synced to these secondary servers. You can provide the secondary servers as nameservers to your domain registrar.

See here for a better explanation and tutorial Setting up Secondary DNS for Mail-in-a-Box

I think port 953 is used by named (bind9)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Every domain that you wish to be served by puck.nether.net needs to be added to your account there.

Records will be transferred automatically.