Quick Survey: Dynamic DNS / NoIP / DynDNS

Are you using Dynamic DNS for anything?
Do you pay for dynamic dns?
Would you like to host your own dynamic dns service that integrates with the MIAB DNS Server API?

I’ve almost finished programming my own dynamic dns client/server application and I’d open source it and write up a setup guide n stuff if there’s interest. It has multi user capabilities, people can sign up, your admin creds to update the DNS server are never exposed to clients.

Alternatively, I’ll also provide free dynamic dns for everyone who needs it (*.alumni.re). Without any expiration or ‘confirm your hostname’ emails, like noip.com keeps sending me (giving me the motivation to write my own solution)

Referencing:
DNS for External WEB site
(and 3 others I can’t link cause new users can only link 2 pages)
Seems there’s a bit of user interest.

The issue with those is, only ADMIN accounts can update subdomains using the API. You don’t want to give out your admin creds to friends / colleagues. My App solves that.

Yes, I definitely have interest on running my own dynamic dns server on the MiaB installation. At first I had the idea to use the existing solution, but as you already mentioned: only admin accounts are able to submit IP changes and it also uses a non standard update mechanism. So I gave it up and use a free dynamic dns service…

The only problem I see: if that would be an unsupported modification, will it work after a MiaB update?

My solution would also use a custom protocol and client/server application to do its magic (the client/server is written in C# and uses the dotnetcore runtime), but unless MiaB changes its DNS API, no update should ever break it.

I don’t modify MiaB at all, I just consume its API.

Ah ok, so you are talking about a service running on another machine, which uses the Custom DNS API via curl? So at the end all the data would be sent over an admin account anyways, right?

Well… I’d host the server app on the same machine miab runs on. The server uses the admin creds to update the API while keeping its own database of users and their subdomains.

@Alumni sorry that I didn’t replied earlier, I was pretty sure I did :cold_sweat:

I’m a bit suspicious about using any admin credentials for those things… but I think, I could give it a try if it’s compatible with my pfSense firewall?
So if you are still interested in publishing a setup guide, I’d definitely take a closer look at this.