Proposed Maintenance Guide Updates

The instructions in the Mail-in-a-Box Maintenance Guide for restoring from S3 compatible backups did not work, so I updated and enhanced the instructions in a forked copy of the maintenance.html file on GitHub: Update maintenance.html. The instructions now work, and are clearer and more complete. Since I was editing the maintenance.html file, I decided to update it more comprehensively. This included updating the body to use UTF-8 character encoding, as specified in the header. I also updated the instructions for maintaining Ubuntu Linux to be easier for newer users who are still learning and becoming more comfortable with system maintenance. The updated instructions recommend running apt-get dist-upgrade rather than apt-get upgrade since the latter command occasionally failed while the former never has over years of use.

I invite comments and criticisms from other Mail-in-a-Box users, either in this Forum, or on GitHub by any user who has a GitHub account. The HTML Code edits can be reviewed on GitHub. To view the edited file with default styles, download the maintenance.html file and open it with a Web browser. To do this, click this hyperlink, Update maintenance.html, to open the relevant GitHub page, click the ellipsis (…) to the right of the maintenance.html file name to display a pop-up menu, select “View file” from the menu, and then click the “Download raw file” button located at the top-right of the code display. The button appears as an arrow pointing down into an upturned bracket. The downloaded file then can be opened by any Web browser. After adequate opportunity for making comments and criticisms, and possibly additional edits, I will submit a pull request on GitHub requesting that the edited maintenance.html file be merged into the main code branch for publication as part of the mailinabox.email site.

4 Likes

Hi, I have reviewed the proposed update to the maintenance page. Thanks for doing this.

This topic was automatically closed 40 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.