Pending update notification (web and server)

When I log into my domain https://box.example.com/admin page, it sasy “System software is up to date”.

However, sshing in, and running apt update shows I have eight pending updates as follows:

he following NEW packages will be installed:
linux-headers-4.15.0-72 linux-headers-4.15.0-72-generic
linux-image-4.15.0-72-generic linux-modules-4.15.0-72-generic
linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-72-generic
The following packages will be upgraded:
libsqlite3-0 linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
linux-libc-dev sqlite3

Also, LTS 18.04 server log in message says nothing to update.

Questions:

1. How should I interpret the web login notification about no updates?

2. Why does the server say no updates are pending?

Thank you very much, and loving MIAB.

What I pay attention to is the emails coming in telling me the system status. When there is something there that needs upgrading, then that is when I log in and take care of things.

What happens if you run apt-get instead of apt?

apt-get and apt should show the same exact packages requiring updates.

I have not investigated this … so I may be talking out my rear end but …

As MiaB is using unattended-upgrades to keep the OS packages updated, I have to wonder if they are suppressing the messages as it is expected that the upgrades will be installed at the 3AM maintenance time?

Just my untested theory.

1 Like

I do see a combination of my upgrades and the unattended upgrades occurring. I ssh in and check for the presence of updates daily.

I’m going to check with another forum to see if I can make sense of what /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-ugrades really means. Also, that file has a section to control the issuance of an email.

I guess all this is not important if the system is maintained, but I dislike having loose ends like these two issues. I’m new at running a real server like this, so my inclination to perform the updates manually maybe misguided.

Thanks to all.
Steve.

Update:

Right now, the server log message shows no pending updates.

The MIAB status page shows 4 pending updates:
grub-common/bionic-updates 2.02-2ubuntu8.14 amd64 [upgradable from: 2.02-2ubuntu8.13]
grub-pc/bionic-updates 2.02-2ubuntu8.14 amd64 [upgradable from: 2.02-2ubuntu8.13]
grub-pc-bin/bionic-updates 2.02-2ubuntu8.14 amd64 [upgradable from: 2.02-2ubuntu8.13]
grub2-common/bionic-updates 2.02-2ubuntu8.14 amd64 [upgradable from: 2.02-2ubuntu8.13]

Running apt list --upgradable shows the four that agree to those above.

I’m going to wait until this time tomorrow to see if the unattended upgrades facility works as expected.