NameServers Clarification

I was told to read the docs, I read the docs. I guess I already knew these two parts but still need to know which one applies to me.

My setup involves miab doing all the name serving. However I have multiple domains from two different registrars. I would like to continue to use cloudflare, but if need be I will cut it out.

See below for my addressing needs in the docs.

-Jeremy

If your Mail-in-a-Box is handling mail for multiple domains, you only do glue records once (for your first domain name). Additional domain names skip this step.

“If you add another domain name to your box later, this section is repeated for each domain name you associate with your box. All domain names on the box will use the exact same two nameservers. So if you used ns1.yourdomain.com for your first domain, use exactly the same thing for your second domain name. (You do NOT use ns1.yourseconddomain.com, etc.)”

I read that as two statements saying the same thing, just in a slightly different manner. The “step that is skipped” is the creation of the glue records, but you reuse the ones you created for the first domain for additional domains.

For example, if your MIAB is box.domain1.com you would have a set of nameserver glue records that point to ns1.box.domain1.com and ns2.box.domain1.com.

If you later add domain2.com, you don’t create glue records for ns1.box.domain2.com and ns2.box.domain2.com. You reuse the glue records ns1.box.domain1.com and ns2.box.domain1.com and set those at the registrar.

1 Like

I don’t think that will work. See below with my explanation.

As you can see the host-names or (gluerecords) are tied to the second level domain.

Is this a godaddy specific quark? In the tutorial it clearly shows using the same name servers across all additional domains.

I feel like I am missing something. What would you recommend? I can’t do exactly as you describe, only make new glues with unique hostnames point to the ip.

My setup involves miab doing all the name serving. However I have multiple domains from two different registrars. I would like to continue to use cloudflare, but if need be I will cut it out.

I think your statement is contradictory - if you use Cloudflare DNS, then MIAB will not be your DNS. (you will be effectively using external DNS)

I’ve found that MIAB works fine with Cloudflare as long as you grey cloud the domains.

You need to just specify the nameserver on the second domain at Godaddy - like ns1.box.example.com and ns2.box.example.com.

Only setup glue records once.

My top priority is having miab do the name serving. But there are some features of CF that are easy to configure like cdn or url forwarding that are not in miab.

It would be nice to use the same two urls for all the domains, but as I said before godaddy only allows glue records on each domain to be tied to the second level, ie. httpbuild.com which is my miab host can gluei only to the two name servers in the aforementioned screenshot, however another godaddy domain such as jb123.me can only have the glues point to the correct ip from a jb123.me domain. NOT an httpbuild.com domain, like everyone is telling me to do…

-Jeremy

My top priority is having miab do the name serving. But there are some features of CF that are easy to configure like cdn or url forwarding that are not in miab.

Unless you are using CF enterprise of business plans, you are going to have to choose one or the other to be your name server. If you use CF, then you don’t have to worry about glue records - just point your nameservers to CF on GoDaddy. But, you will then have to import the dns file from MIAB. You really should have a decent understanding of DNS if you’re going to run external DNS. It’s not that complicated, but, understanding how DNS functions is going to avoid issues.

It would be nice to use the same two urls for all the domains, but as I said before godaddy only allows glue records on each domain to be tied to the second level, ie. httpbuild.com which is my miab host can gluei only to the two name servers in the aforementioned screenshot, however another godaddy domain such as jb123.me can only have the glues point to the correct ip from a jb123.me domain. NOT an httpbuild.com domain, like everyone is telling me to do…

I may be wrong, but I think you are trying to set this up incorrectly. you only need glue records if you are hosting DNS, so you only point this to your MIAB box.
Then, all other domains you just setup nameservers at your registrar to point to your MIAB DNS.

1 Like

MiaB installs and configures an authoritative DNS server to make configuring of the email-related records automated.

There is only one domain that will be the authoritative DNS server*.

The domain that is the authoritative DNS server is also the hostname as configured in the original installation of MiaB.

The domain name used as the authoritative DNS server must have glue records created at the registrar and then those glue records put in the nameserver DNS server records for that domain.

Those glue records are the only glue records created for all domains hosted by MiaB.

When adding additional domains, those domains cannot also be used as the authoritative DNS server domain for the same MiaB install.

Instead, the additional domains will use the glue records created for the authoritative DNS server domain. So if the authoritative DNS server domain glue records are ns1.box.example.net and ns2.box.example.net, then that will the DNS server URL for name server records of additional domains.

If example.com is to use MiaB as an authoritative DNS server, then the nameserver records for example.com will be ns1.box.example.net and ns2.box.example.net.

If you want to use Cloudflare as the authoritative DNS server for a domain, then you will enter the DNS server URLs given to you by Cloudflare, and then in the Cloudflare interface you will need to enter the ALL of the DNS records listed on the ‘External DNS’ page of the MiaB dashboard.

* You can later add slave DNS servers with different domains, but that is a different topic.

No, on the second domain you simply DO NOT set glue records at all!

You ONLY create ONE set of glue records — one for each MiaB server.

NOT for each domain!

I see nobody telling you to do this…

Additional domains DO NOT use glue records!!! Glue records are ONLY used when a name server is being run on the same domain that it is serving DNS for.

You are misreading. Pleas read more slowly and carefully.

No misreading this … the additional domains do NOT use the glue records created for the authoritative DNS server domain as they are not to be set at all if a name server is not being run on the domain itself.

It’s kind of weird then within the context of that post that I had that section on Cloudflare.

Please read carefully and within the context of an entire post.

I don’t know @openletter … seems pretty cut and dried in the initial post. With a quote from the install gulde even.

The problem where this thread went off the rails is that the OP took information from two different sections of the guide and treated it as being from the same as later in the guide in the name server section it states the second comment made:

This comment is ONLY referring to setting the name servers. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with Glue records as that section of the guide is complete and done with. “This section” is the ‘Nameservers’ section. Not the ‘Glue records’ section.

Thank you sir, I understand now. I usually work with mostly instant feedback. Having propagation take two days, and even longer if configure incorrectly confused me. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

1 Like

One last thing related to this.

After adding the two (Authoritative) name servers for all the additional domains at the various registrars, do I need to remove any records for the additional domains (at the registrars)? Or, will miab take over completely?

Please correct me if the following is incorrect.

The additional domains should have the miab authoritative name servers set as authoritative, or as additional in the records area?

-Jeremy

Every registrar works a bit differently, however the one thing that will be in common is that if you enter the name servers:
ns1.box.domain.tld
ns2.box.domain.tld
Then the records you previously entered with the registrar’s DNS will be ignored. As only the records provided by the listed name servers will be in use.

Some registrars will delete what you previously entered - some will just ‘hide’ the information in case you were to decide to use them again for DNS.

Please correct me if the following is incorrect.