NameServers Clarification

I cannot as your terms are ambiguous.

Let me define a term first —

authoritative name server - the name server delegated the responsibility to provide the correct DNS information for a domain.

So when you write “The additional domains should have the miab authoritative name servers set as authoritative, or as additional (name servers) in the records area?” I do not really know what you are referring to.

However, for any and all domains that you want MiaB to be the ‘authoritative name server’ for, you have to enter them as the name servers at the registrar.

Well there are two different places to set name servers at the registrar.

One is using a custom name server,

the other is where all the other records reside, ie. A CNAME, TXT etc…

Gotcha.

Here is the deal though … most registrars will not allow you to make entries to the other area where all the other records reside.

So, if you have a “custom” name server set, you should not even be able to see the other records at the registrar.

Who is the registrar that does this?

and you will notice that GoDaddy does not allow you to edit the NS records as you are using their name servers.

No one that I know of…

So what use case scenario would a name server in the records section be used?

Sorry, what I meant was that you set your name servers at the registrar for the nameservers you created as a part of setting up domain1.com

2 Likes

It is only there so you can see which name servers you are assigned to. In GoDaddy’s case you cannot edit them. (Please note that this is a simplistic explanation as every ‘zone file’ lists the NS entries)

GoDaddy is the source of lots of problems for many people when it comes to DNS and Glue records. I would advise not using them as a registrar personally.

Oh, so it’s a personal footnote?

gosh, I think vultr’s cloud dns has this too. I will check namecheap, but not sure.
Do you know specifically which one does not do it that way? I’d like to know, because it seems like planned confusion…

Vultr…

That is one way to phrase it. The NS records do have to be present in a zone file, but normally you would not be able to edit them as they have to match your listed name servers.

NameSilo.

Again, please note in each image of the DNS settings area you have provided … both Vultr and GoDaddy. You CANNOT edit the NS entries.

1 Like

I see, I guess this is also how miab does it too…

Thank you soo much! you really got me out of the mud…

Great!!! Now go take a shower! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes true… but at go daddy you can add new ones… Not sure why…

Also vultr seems to be different see below…

If you edit them here you have to edit them at the registrar level, otherwise your DNS will not work.

I was about to put a disclaimer in my other comment that I hadn’t specifically had experience with Vultr, but you beat me to it.

Notice, that Vultr also has the subdomain box available to be edited. This would be used in advanced DNS configurations. So yes, you can edit the fields, but if you make an incorrect edit without other changes DNS will not work.

1 Like

Every DNS server I have ever used offers the ns record as an option. The MiaB interface even has subtext to communicate its use:

nsdelegation

For delegating subdomains to a different name server yes.

However, they typically do NOT allow you to edit the root.