Migration to Ubuntu 18.04 after failed upgrade

Hi everyone, I hope this finds you well.

I have had a MIAB (v0.23) running on Ubuntu 14.04 without incident for some time now. I recently had my SSL certificate expired, and found that the ACME deprecation was a issue there (not the problem now).

I reviewed the upgrade instructions, and believing that I had not implemented any of the nexcloud/owncloud plugins, went ahead and attempted to do the direct upgrade to v0.30 in the hopes that would fix my SSL provisioning and I could move along.

As I did not RTFM closely enough in the subsequent link, I didn’t anticipate that this upgrade would break the nginx webserver due to the lack of support. End result, the curl update terminates when the script attempted the php7.0 installs.

The good news: MIAB is still serving emails, and appears to accept connections from mail programs via at least IMAP. So that end of things is stable. Access to making droplet snapshots (digital ocean) or database backups is maintained.

The dumb news: I’ve blown up the webserver, so Roundcube and the MIAB admin panel are now inaccessible.

My assumption here is that the webserver is not retrievable, and my best course of action will be to migrate to an up-to-date 18.04 instance and restore backups.

My main question is how and where to pickup the instructions in the user guide here. The python backup script referenced in the Maintenance page is located where it should be, but it returns the following:

-bash: management/backup.py: /usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/bin/python: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

So I can’t run the python script at the moment for backups.

Can I:

#1 - somehow fix the reference here so that the backup script runs?

or

#2 - successfully migrate the MIAB data to an 18.04 droplet via other backup / snapshot methods.

Thank you very much for your help!

Dan

I’m not the right guy really to answer this completely, but a sort of bootstrap option might be something like:

If IMAP is working, you can do a fresh install of MiaB, then use a tool called imapsync to transfer all of the mail accounts, then set up all of the custom DNS records, as applicable, manually add anything you have custom, such as web files, add the new DNSSEC DS records, where appropriate (assuming your registrar supports it, multiple DS records is RFC-compliant).

Then if everything looks good, change the glue records; see what happens.

Hi Dan, @sabhain

I just did a migration of a similar situation for someone last month. So, there is hope.

If you want to discuss the possibilities, send me a PM or reach out to me on Slack.

If you cannot make an encrypted backup then this is likely to be the long drawn out path that you’ll have to take. @openletter gives the basic gist of what you’ll need to do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 40 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.