Keyboard Challenges and Ubuntu

After the last upgrade in Ubuntu, I have lost the ability to input the Pipe KEY < | > into the Ubuntu console using Digital Ocean. Does anyone know how to gain that capability back? I am using a MacBook Pro (US) and have used the command:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration to no avail.

OP

Update the keyboard locale, making sure English (US) is selected:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

I appreciate the response. I went through the command and set the keyboard to English US – no change. When I use the < Shift > + < \ > command it returns a resultant < ^ >

Keyboard layout on the MacBook set to US? (Stupid question I guess.) Can your macbook output the “|” char in say a note or the terminal app?

Yes – no problem with the < | > key on the MacBook using OSX. Just inside of the Ubuntu Console – therefore I cannot update the mailinabox program

do sudo locale and make sure that you are on US and then reboot.

All are set to US EN – UTC 8

This is an insane issue. I have tried every config that I can think using the keyboard config commands as well. Sincerely appreciate your help.

Did you ever figure this out? Having same problem. I can’t even copy paste it.

My apologies for the delay in response, I do not check this board often. I ended up re configuring my ssh access with a new password key and have been using ssh – I essentially gave up!