Is there a way that I can change the rsync key to an ed25519 key?

Can I change the rsync key to an ed25519 key? RSA is pretty rough in 2024. I don’t really want to be using an RSA key if possible.

Character limits suckCharacter limits suckCharacter limits suckCharacter limits suckCharacter limits suckCharacter limits suckCharacter limits suck

Be warned: It looks pretty simple, but might not work. Don’t blame me if this destroys your MiaB installation :wink:

I think you can simply generate a new ed25519 key pair, and replace the files /root/.ssh/id_rsa_miab and /root/.ssh/id_rsa_miab.pub You must use these filenames, because the MiaB code depends on it.
Obviously use the public key to update to rsync target.

Update: ok, I found it interesting enough to try it out myself, and for me the above procedure works. :sunglasses:

1 Like

So I was able to change the contents of that to an ed25519 fine but I think I gave up too early. One of the things I was really hoping for is being able to set something in the .ssh/config for the root user because I really wanted to use my SSH CA instead of depositing pubkeys.

Yeah, I don’t think that’ll work. The usage of the key is hardcoded in Mail-in-a-Box.

Yeah it looks like basically if anything I would have to just do the backups manually.

This topic was automatically closed 40 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.