How do the backups work?

I have copied the “encrypted” directory and secret_key.txt to my machine. I have no idea what to do now? Is there a guide? My understanding is that I can decrypt the files with the secret_key. Thanks for the help.

I have no idea what to do now?

hopefully you don’t need to do anything, as long as your box works fine. But you should regularly download your backups to another machine (mail-in-a-box makes backups on a daily basis). If you want to you can try out if the restore procedure works with your backups.

Is there a guide?

yes, there is a small guide about restoring and moving your box → Mail-in-a-Box Maintenance Guide

Thank you for the information. I have tried but am still somewhat confused.

I placed the “encrypted” directory which contains the .gpg files and the secret_key.txt file into a directory on my local machine.

I typed from the link you provided:

export PASSPHRASE=$(cat secret_key.txt) and pressed enter. I typed PASSPHRASE rather than a particular passphrase - is this correct?

Then I typed:

sudo -E duplicity restore file:///directory/encrypted /home/user-data/

It seemed to work as the screen displayed: “Synchronising remote metadata to local cache…”

This creates a .gz file in the ~/.cache/duplicity/ directory. However, after running gunzip, I am left with a binary .sigtar file. What does this mean and is this the backup?