Guide - How to unblock from Microsoft / Hotmail / Live

Creating a new post by request.

There are WAY too many post asking about being blocked by Outlook / Hotmail / Microsoft.

The fact is,

• you are not alone.
  • it may have nothing got to do with your host
  • MOST LIKELY nothing got to do with UCEPROTECT blacklist SCAM
  • your IP address had been used to send undesirable emails to them, by previous owner.

It’s not difficult to get unbanned from outlook, you just need to prove you are not a spammer, OR your IP is newly acquired and you were not the spammer.

In most cases, whatever you need to do below, is likely a standard process whenever you set up a new mail server or acquire a new IP address - as long as you are with a genuine and reputable host. ( not those that are hosted in a garage and offering 4GB ram at $3/month )

This is the standard reply from outlook/live/hotmail which will throw you off thinking this is the end.

You can request for unblock here - Sign in to your account

We have completed reviewing the IP(s) you submitted. The following table contains the results of our investigation.

Not qualified for mitigation
IP address
Our investigation has determined that the above IP(s) do not qualify for mitigation.

Please ensure your emails comply with the Outlook.com policies, practices and guidelines found here: http://mail.live.com/mail/policies.aspx.

DON’T GIVE UP!

Send a reply. Only real spammers give up on the first try.

<< IP address >> is our own business and personal email server, with
controlled user creation access.

This is a newly acquired IP address.

Security
This server is used solely for the purpose of mailserver, with ssh
access only granted to an administrator.

Settings
The server is also configured with all the necessary records to ensure
only authenticated users connected to our secured smtp can send mails
from our domains.

Please help us to unblock our IP

Outlook/live/hotmail standard replies.

They will send a few email templates as follow, just need to give them what they want.

My name is BLABLA and I work with the Outlook.com Deliverability Support Team.

Your IP (SOMEIP) was blocked by Outlook.com because Hotmail customers have reported email from this IP as unwanted. One possible explanation for this is the automatic forwarding of unfiltered inbound messages, including unwanted messages, to Sign in to Outlook addresses.

Please confirm that your emails comply with Hotmail’s technical standards. This information can be found athttps://postmaster.live.com/pm/postmaster.aspx.

OR

Since you have mentioned that the IP: (YOUR IP address) has been newly acquired we request you to provide the proof which shows the IP address that has been newly assigned to you along with the exact date of purchase.
The alternate way is we need a confirmation from your Host/ISP, an email stating about the IP address that was assigned and the date of purchase.
I hope that the information I provided you was helpful. You may also find additional information on common delivery questions at the Outlook.com Postmaster site found at postmaster.live.com.

OR

Thank you for your response, we are yet to receive the information from you.

We would be very happy to support you, if these IPs are been newly acquired, we request you to provide the proof (Invoice copy, Email trial) which has the IP address that has been newly assigned to you along with the date of purchase.

Now things will get easier.

Send them a

• A copy of the receipt stating when your VPS was purchased (started), together with the VPS Name + IP address. If IP is not in the receipt, take a screenshot of your web control panel or something.
  • OR email your provider if the provider’s receipt and online panel are unable to provide the information you need.

Example of a linode screenshot which is sufficient.

Example of a Digitalocean screen shot

( you need to include your first month invoice, together with the screenshot )

Whatever host you use, you just need to get the necessary information from the hosting panel, or the support team, to prove you are the new owner of your shiny VPS + IP.

Your IP gets Unblocked within 24-48 hours.

You usually won’t have problem getting unblocked. My unblock rate is 100%.

Thank you for contacting Outlook.com Deliverability Support team.

We have conducted our investigation and applied the required mitigation for your IP: < IP address >. This process may take 24 - 48 hours to replicate completely throughout our system.

Thank you

Outlook.com Deliverability Support

Remember to keep the correspondence.

In one of my setup, the mitigation was accidentally reversed (probably when they were doing network maintenance) and my IP was blocked again. I was able to shorten the entire unblock process by just letting them know my IP was mitigated before.

11 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: How to unblock from Microsoft / Hotmail / Live

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi

I have reopened this topic as I have seen a report that people getting mitigation from MS and being put back on the list a few months down the road.

I am skeptical of this and would like to hear from those who have done this what your experiences have been.

@daveteu @aroundmyroom @S4_Hosting @phred

I went through the steps outlined above at the beginning of June of this year. No issues since.

As is stated earlier: you need to be persistent.
you will be denied the first time automatically. Than you need to resubmit your case again by replying and than you will be granted access again as someone human will enter your IP somewhere :wink:

I have had it personally and same with our office IP’s …

I, too, had issues, and after some persistence, got my IP (digital ocean) unblocked. That was back in February of 2021, and a test message sent as recently as this morning was accepted by outlook.com.

1 Like

Hi Alento,

I went through he unblocking process and found it quite straight forward. It’s annoying that MS demand it, but for me it wasn’t onerous. I just went to their website and did the request-unblock process, followed some verify email links, and it was done.

I’ve been running for about 1.5 years and I haven’t been reblocked or anything. The only time I’ve had to think about it was when I changed server location and IP address, then I had to go through the same process again.

We had a reoccurrence of some issues with getting stuff delivered to Hotmail and Outlook addresses, about three months after going through this process the first time around. We just repeated the same process again and haven’t had any issues with it at all since then.

I did read somewhere, and I really can’t remember where, that if you have very low mail volume then you may find yourself back on the list and need to repeat. Not sure why that would be though.

There’s a legit reason why that would be - if you’re not sending mail at all to Microsoft they may eventually think the respective sending server is no longer operating (e.g. the box was destroyed, moved to a new IP, etc.)

Given that it’s also possible for the address to have fallen in the hands of a spammer, they might re-block the IP just to be safe.

1 Like

Ironically, when I went through the process I had read about how you’re supposed to get denied the first time, so I replied again. Turns out that at some point between me signing up on their postmaster site (which said my IP was blocked) and emailing them, they had already removed it. The two reps I emailed were telling me I wasn’t blocked. So the block removal happened in a very short time frame, and apparently automatically.

It may be that they started automating it a bit: sign up on their postmaster site, which requires you to have access to the postmaster email for the IP, which in turn removes the IP block if it falls under certain prerequisites.

IPv4 addresses are always adopted by non-spamming, legitimate individuals and companies. Keeping them blocked forever isn’t normally what block lists are intended for, unless it’s a shady one like UCE Protect. After a certain amount of time has passed without spam, they should fall off automatically. Some blocklists use automatic removal based on X conditions. We just don’t know much about how Outlook does it because they’re very hush hush.

Being blocked due to the range you’re in is pretty much always an easy, automatic process to get removed (slightly manual on your end).

Yep, that absolutely makes sense. The threshold isn’t zero mail to MS but it’s pretty low I think.

We just had this happen with one of our mail servers after about 8 months. There had been no problems at since the mitigation, and then suddenly a few days ago we had a repeat of the previous issue, and had to go through the same process again.

Thank you for this guide! Microsoft. Mircosoft has announced the “good news” after a week, with silence for several days: The mails are accepted from our little mailbox.

In the meantime, I redirected the mails that went to MS with the instructions:

NOTE: If regex, not in main.cf: transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
right: transport_maps = regexp:/etc/postfix/transport

since we don’t have many senders, I could even use a freemailer for this, whereby I have legitimized all senders at the freemailer before. It should be noted, however, to adjust the DKIM / DMARC / SPF in the name server for the relevant domains.

For people with language german: Workaround für Mails an Adressen bei Microsoft (@hotmail.com, @live.com, @outlook.com etc.) - vServer / Server / KVM-Server - netcup Kundenforum