Firewall issues?

The System Status Checks is reporting the following errors:

✖ SSH Login (ssh) is running (and available over IPv4 and the local IPv6 address), but it is not publicly accessible at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:22. ✖ Public DNS (nsd4) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxxx:xxx:xxxx:xx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx port 53. ✖ Incoming Mail (SMTP/postfix) is running (and available over IPv4 and the local IPv6 address), but it is not publicly accessible at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:25. ✖ Outgoing Mail (SMTP 587/postfix) is running (and available over IPv4 and the local IPv6 address), but it is not publicly accessible at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:587. ✖ IMAPS (dovecot) is running (and available over IPv4 and the local IPv6 address), but it is not publicly accessible at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:993. ✖ Mail Filters (Sieve/dovecot) is running (and available over IPv4 and the local IPv6 address), but it is not publicly accessible at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:4190. ✖ HTTP Web (nginx) is running (and available over IPv4 and the local IPv6 address), but it is not publicly accessible at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:80.

What is wrong? How can I undo these errors? Can’t remember to have tampered firewall settings.

Is your server able to send and receive emails? If so, your problem may be similar to mine here: Status Checks Incorrect

Otherwise, are you behind a firewall? I had to port forward and allow those ports through my firewall.

I did an ‘ufw status numbered’ and all ports returned action ‘ALLOW IN’ from ‘Anywhere’. Cannot remember to have set up any firewalls when configuring the ubuntu server. Any suggestions how to check whether a firewall is active?

I was talking about a hardware firewall or nat device, MIAB should have configured the ufw firewall correctly. I’m not sure what else could be wrong unless MIAB updated weird or some setting got changed in ubuntu.

Sending and receiving of emails is working. But I don’t know why I get these warnings. Can somebody else give me a direction where to look for a solution?

Which provider are you using?

My hosting provider? That’s www.TransIP.nl.

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue and using the same hosting provider. (www.transip.nl)

When i installed mailinabox everything looks fine.

But after the first reboot this problem came.

:heavy_multiplication_x:SSH Login (ssh) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 22.

:heavy_multiplication_x:Public DNS (nsd4) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 53.

:heavy_multiplication_x:Incoming Mail (SMTP/postfix) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 25.

:heavy_multiplication_x:Outgoing Mail (SMTP 587/postfix) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 587.

:heavy_multiplication_x:IMAPS (dovecot) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 993.

:heavy_multiplication_x:Mail Filters (Sieve/dovecot) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 4190.

:heavy_multiplication_x:HTTP Web (nginx) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 80.
nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful

:heavy_multiplication_x:HTTPS Web (nginx) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 443.
nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful

It looks like something changed some conf files after reboot??

Grtz

Edit:

Fresh install Ubuntu + MIAB install everything looks fine.

Josh

After first reboot:

I found the problem (it’s not MIAB)

If you use a transip VPS

Follow this IPv6 adres aan TransIP.nl VPS toevoegen

in transip control panel:

Voeg een nieuw IPv6 adres toe
ip adres:XXXX:XXX:XXXX:XXX::1
Reverse DNS: box.example.com

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

Change the following

iface eth0 inet6 static pre-up modprobe ipv6 address XXXX:XXX:XXXX:XXX::1 netmask 48 gateway XXX:XXX:XXXX:XXX::1:

Herstart:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Reboot server

Thanks! No more ugly red crosses! Keep up the good work!

Unfortunately, after several attempts, as described above, I keep the red crosses. Same conditions I also host a VPS at TransIP. Everthing seems to work fine and is accessible.

A post was split to a new topic: Status checks fail indicate firewall problem