Domain name not resolving after migration despite DNS checking out

I just tried to migrate to a fresh DigitalOcean VPS (in a data center closer to where I live, and colocated with my WordPress VPS), and everything on the Status Checks page is green (except DNSSEC), but the domain name isn’t properly resolving, except, strangely, for the static server (which I don’t use). I can access the admin interface (which I can log into) via the IP address, and I can access the login page for RoundCube (which gives me an “Invalid request!” error when I try to log in). IMAP is timing out, as well.

Yes, I have repeated the install script; yes, I have rebooted my box; and, yes, I have purged the DNS cache for my domain at https://1.1.1.1/purge-cache/.

Any thoughts on why this might be happening? My server’s IP address is https://104.131.30.57, and the domain name that’s timing out (but not for static HTML) is https://box.elsiehupp.com.

I can let this sit for a few hours, but if I don’t have the new VPS up and running in the next day or so I’ll have to go back to the old one. Hoping I can fix this!

As I was suspicious would happen, it started working on its own after a few hours.

Yes, but it is not working correctly. Are you intending to host DNS for your domain through Digital Ocean, or through your MiaB server?

Regardless of your choice the records are incorrect:

Your NS entries being served should be one or the other, not both.

I had been getting sporadic DNS errors reported to me through the status-update emails, though the service continued working the entire time, so I decided to go back through the DNS settings.

First I tried setting my GoDaddy nameservers to ns1/ns2.digitalocean.com, then setting my DigitalOcean nameservers to ns1/ns2.box.elsiehupp.com, which, again, worked, but still produced sporadic errors in the status checks.

So next I set up my GoDaddy nameservers to ns1/ns2.elsiehupp.com and the external nameservers in my MiaB admin to ns1/ns2.digitalocean.com (ie the other way around). This eliminated the sporadic errors, but the status checks page told me that DigitalOcean wasn’t set up to manage my domain.

Finally, I just decided to use MiaB’s DNS for my other subdomains, and I just deleted the domain from my DigitalOcean console.

FWIW, it seems like my sporadic errors were coming from the different nameservers conflicting with each other, like you said was the problem. However, I still ran into issues with delegating other subdomains to DigitalOcean using MiaB’s external nameserver option, so idk what’s up with that.

Both of these scenarios are actually incorrect. You are trying to use both as DNS in an incorrect way.

If you set your nameservers at GoDaddy to be the Digital Ocean nameservers then you need to manually copy the entries from MiaB’s External DNS page. You do not redelegate with a NS record there. Using a NS record would only be if you have a subdomain’s whose DNS is being hosted elsewhere. Something incredibly complex, and unneeded for 99.999% of people using MiaB.

This actually makes no sense for there is no setting to ‘set up the external nameservers in your MiaB admin’.

Yes, this is true, but why are you wanting to delegate other subdomains to DO ? Why not have MiaB handle it all? Granted, like I mentioned earlier there are rare cases in which you may want to do this… but if that is the case here, you did not do it the correct way.

Both of these scenarios are actually incorrect. You are trying to use both as DNS in an incorrect way.

Indeed.

If you set your nameservers at GoDaddy to be the Digital Ocean nameservers then you need to manually copy the entries from MiaB’s External DNS page. You do not redelegate with a NS record there. Using a NS record would only be if you have a subdomain’s whose DNS is being hosted elsewhere. Something incredibly complex, and unneeded for 99.999% of people using MiaB.

I misunderstood how GoDaddy glue records work when I initially set up my box. Once I went through and followed the instructions correctly, everything worked as it should.

This actually makes no sense for there is no setting to ‘set up the external nameservers in your MiaB admin’.

I was referring to this, whatever it is:

If you set your nameservers at GoDaddy to be the Digital Ocean nameservers then you need to manually copy the entries from MiaB’s External DNS page.

This is in fact what I had done previously. It… mostly worked. It was just needlessly complex.

Yes, this is true, but why are you wanting to delegate other subdomains to DO ? Why not have MiaB handle it all? Granted, like I mentioned earlier there are rare cases in which you may want to do this… but if that is the case here, you did not do it the correct way.

I have a handful of other DigitalOcean droplets on other subdomains. (For example, I have a full Nextcloud setup.) Having the DNS in the same place as those seemed more convenient at the time, and I was actually already set up on DigitalOcean before I started using Mail-in-a-Box. (I had previously used a weird MX application that used DNS records for everything. It didn’t work very well, which is why I switched to Mail-in-a-Box.)

Ok, so in my opinion, rather than delegating the subdomain’s DNS to Digital Ocean (DO) I would simply add them in the Custom DNS section of the admin area. This will put the DNS all in the same place.

As I said earlier, you could delegate it, but it is complex. IF you want to delegate the subdomain’s to DO you need to create each subdomain as a domain in DO networking to properly work.

Please read this to understand what that area of the Custom DNS page is:

Yes, this is what I did. It works.

I kind of don’t care enough to properly understand DNS delegation at this point, since I’m just running my Mail-in-a-Box server for my own personal use, and my current confirguration works, but I’ll take a look at that link if or when it becomes necessary.

Be forewarned that IF something happens to your MiaB droplet, now that it is running DNS for all of your other droplets, expect to not be able to connect to them … I do urge you to be proactive, rather than taking this stance:

At which point, it will be too late.

1 Like

I just quick rebuilt a duplicate set of DNS records over at DigitalOcean and added their nameservers as backup DNS. Hopefully this will increase the reliability of my domains (to the extent this was an issue to begin with).

Digital Ocean does NOT provide “backup DNS” (Secondary name servers)

I interpreted it to me that an additional set of manually configured records was created at the other DNS server.

Even IF that were the case it would not be a proper implementation of Secondary DNS as all information including the serial number must be identical across DNS providers. The way to achieve this is to use AXFR.

1 Like

This is entirely Greek to me. How would I go about doing that, if it isn’t explained in the mail-in-a-box setup guide?

Doing what exactly?

You already have done some unorthodox things that work but are not proper. So you are going to have to explicitly state what it is that you are asking please.

“Properly implementing Secondary DNS using AXFR so that all information including the serial number will be identical across DNS providers”

How do I do that, assuming I’m starting from scratch, using the official setup guide? You tell me to do a thing, but then you don’t actually tell me how to do it!

Actually, I did on January 10 in this response to this thread that we are now communicating in:

The direct link to the instructions is:

Actually, I did on January 10 in this response to this thread that we are now communicating in.

Oops. The fact that I check my messages on here about once every three or four months seems have a negative effect, lol. (I only just added this forum to a Discourse client with push notifications on my phone.)

Thank you for reposting the tl;dr.

1 Like

@elsiehupp With all due respect, I think that this is really not your area of knowledge. Everyone has the things that they are proficient in and those that they are not. This is one that seemingly you are not proficient in.

I am available to handle your needs quickly and inexpensively. If you’d like to hire me to help resolve this for you please reach out. :slight_smile: