Delayed Mail to internal forwards with 0.40

Since upgrading to 0.40, I’ve started having problems with internal forwarding. I get 'Delayed Mail" notifications that start like this:

<marcus@example.com> (expanded from <webmaster@example.com>): lost
   connection with 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] while sending end of data -- message
   may be sent more than once
Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.example.com

Messages directly to accounts (rather than forwards) work fine, and outbound is OK too. In logs I’m seeing lots of these entries in mail.err:

Jan 15 06:22:06 mail spampd[26627]: WARNING!! Error in process_request eval block: Child server process timed out!

and occasionally these in mail.log:

Jan 15 07:10:31 mail2 postfix/smtpd[1622]: warning: restriction `reject_authenticated_sender_login_mismatch' ignored: no SASL support

I don’t know if these are related to this internal forwarding issue. The server has 8 cores & 8G, so there is plenty of capacity available. Any idea what might be causing this?

I am getting this error too. Couldn’t get rid of it so far. After some testing these problems allways shows up when there are 2+ recipients.
The mail cannot be processed for more than 2 recipients and gets stuck in the queue

-Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
F3E83E1CB0* 30937 Wed Jan 16 00:09:42 someone@example.com
recipient@example2.com

until “something” times out and resets the process to evaluate again. If there are just 3 recipients next time you will get the mail deleted from the Queue BUT, most probably, some or all of the recipients are going to get duplicates or even more of the original mail.

I’m still getting this a lot - with some small variations, and it’s visible to external senders which is embarrassing:

<user@example.com>: delivery temporarily suspended: conversation with
    127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] timed out while receiving the initial server greeting

I don’t know why anything would be slow - the server is massively overpowered and only has about 30 users storing around 70G of messages. I also don’t know exactly which component is slow - is this postfix? or is some other service holding things up at this point?

Still happening. I tried increasing the number of processes used by spampd, but that has not helped. I currently have several hundred messages in the queue with load of 0.1, so the server is essentlally sitting there doing nothing. Apparently it has no problems sending out delay notificatons :roll_eyes:. I’ve asked about this on the spampd githhub project.

This is getting really unusable. Can anyone tell me how to disable spampd altogether? Having spam filtering is good, but not if it prevents mail delivery working altogether.

Having the same problem here,
Google shows a very interesting and similar problem, only thing is: it’s from 2006.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=395355

we’ll try to implement the workaround and report back… i know it’s a stretch but the symptom is really similar to what we’ve seen.

1 Like

Had exactly the same issue when using amazon ses

this error is fixed my editing /etc/postfix/main.cf adding: smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes

For this the only fix I found right now is setting at the end of /etc/postfix/main.cf.
lmtp_destination_recipient_limit = 1

1 Like