Cron /usr/local/lib/owncloud/cron.php killed (memory)

I keep getting messages (>30/day) from Cron Daemon with subject Cron <root@crabapple> sudo -u www-data php8.0 -f /usr/local/lib/owncloud/cron.php and contents Killed.

Looking in /var/log/kern.log, I can see that oom-killer is kicking in and killing the job:

Dec 21 18:56:59 crabapple kernel: [120854.910869] Out of memory: Killed process 249371 (php8.0) total-vm:770900kB, anon-rss:474656kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:21132kB, UID:33 pgtables:1200kB oom_score_adj:0

If I run the job myself, it completes quickly with no output or error code:

❯ sudo -u www-data php8.0 -f /usr/local/lib/owncloud/cron.php; echo $?

My steady-state memory usage seems reasonable.

❯ free -h
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           957Mi       286Mi       386Mi        20Mi       283Mi       516Mi
Swap:          511Mi       482Mi        29Mi

But that’s not enough for the cron job using 771MB (475MB RAM) per the oom-killer log. Is it normal for /owncloud/cron.php to need that much memory? If not, how can I figure out what’s going on?

I noticed during the most recent upgrade that I was getting the UNIQUE constraint failed error described here. I applied the deletion of duplicate oc_users_external rows, re-updated Mail-in-a-box, and that seems to have stopped the OOM kills.

Nope, still getting OOM kills. Restarting must have just temporarily lowered memory pressure a bit.

This topic was automatically closed 40 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.