Backup to S3: files are in S3 bucket but MIAB says No backups have been made yet

I have configured S3 backups.

The file /home/user-data/backup/custom.yaml contains:

min_age_in_days: 7
target: s3://s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/REDACTED/mail-in-a-box
target_user: REDACTED
target_pass: REDACTED

After running /root/mailinabox/management/backup.py --full, I can see the backup files appearing in the AWS S3 bucket: duplicity-full.20240807T121715Z.vol1.difftar.gpg etc…

In the MIAB control panel, Backup Status, I have:

Available backups

The backup location currently contains the backups listed below. The total size of the backups is currently 1.6 GB.

When Type Size Deleted in…
No backups have been made yet.

The size matches the files on S3, but the “No backups have been made yet.” doesn’t look ok.

I see the same thing. I just upgraded duplicity to 3.0.1, so perhaps something changed in the output of duplicity. I think the backups are still being made, it’s just the reporting that’s wrong.

I’m looking at downgrading duplicity but can’t find an older version on the PPA.

1 Like

I’m glad that I’m not the only one experiencing the issue.

For troubleshooting: how about replacing the apt version with the snap version? I’m going to try that.

I did the following steps:

apt remove duplicity
wget https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/duplicity/snaps/duplicity_3.0.0_amd64.snap
snap install duplicity_3.0.0_amd64.snap --dangerous --classic
ln -s /snap/bin/duplicity /usr/bin/duplicity
/root/mailinabox/management/backup.py

Then I refreshed the Backup Status page:

Available backups

The backup location currently contains the backups listed below. The total size of the backups is currently 3.1 GB.

When Type Size Deleted in…
2024-08-07 21:10:32 CEST 0 hours, 0 minutes ago increment 951 KB approx. 31 days
2024-08-07 16:38:29 CEST 4 hours, 32 minutes ago full 1.5 GB approx. 31 days
2024-08-07 14:17:15 CEST 6 hours, 54 minutes ago full 1.6 GB unknown

Looks OK now.

So that confirms your hypothesis that something is different between duplicity 3.0.0 and 3.0.1.

I think it’s reasonable to open an issue on the MIAB Github tracker.

Link to the github issue No backups shown in the admin interface and failing manually since new duplicity version has been installed · Issue #2420 · mail-in-a-box/mailinabox · GitHub

@Amedee Could you please check my post? Do you think the problems are the same and should I upgrade duplicity?
POST 12238

https:// discourse.mailinabox.email/t/problem-in-aws-s3-backup/12238

@amirsrb Looks to me like you’re having the same issue

@KiekerJan So we have to wait for a new update of duplicity, right?

Either that or you replace the apt version of duplicity with the snap version, which will not auto-update.

It’s weird for me. I’ve turned to rsync backup but it’s still “The total size of the backups is currently 147 GB.
No backups have been made yet.
Two days have passed, but only the backup volume has increased.
I suppose that if I choose another method, it should be fine!

My box could upgrade to 3.0.2 today. It seems to resolve the issue.

1 Like

Indeed 3.0.2 solves it.
You may look into running sudo apt-mark hold duplicity to prevent it from upgrading automatically, in case there is another regression ever again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 40 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.