Backup problems after upgrading 0.65 -> 0.66

Edit: Problem solved (see my list update for the resolution))

I upgraded to 0.66 yesterday. Today I see (via my automated monitoring over the api) that a full backup and incremental ones are not cleared up:
2023-07-19 03:30:09 CET 5 months, 1 days ago full 1.9 GB on next daily backup

It was not there yesterday before the upgrade - my montoring checks daily.
So far so good, the daily backup job had suceeded. I thought, I give manual backup a check, as described in the maintenance guide for the backup before upgrade

./management/backup.py 
CommandLineError: argument --gpg-options: expected one argument
Something is wrong with the backup: ERROR 23 CommandLineError
. CommandLineError: argument --gpg-options: expected one argument

But this now fails (I remember we had this problem earlier, but with a diffent duplicity version).

$ duplicity --version
duplicity 2.1.4

So has there been a coincidential upgrade of duplicity as well? I checked Ubuntuā€™u package page duplicity package : Ubuntu and indeed, Published on 2023-12-18 might indicate this.

Edit: I just realized, that mailinabox uses a ppa for duplicity, so I checked there as well and that makes even more sense, itā€™s a release from today (just a little bit funny, that for my time zone, the timestamp is from the future):
https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/duplicity-team/duplicity-release-git/ubuntu/pool/main/d/duplicity/

Anybody else experiencing that?

Hi
I know it may not help but I did the exact same upgrade yesterday 65 to 66 and all is working well, backup went through without issue.

My duplicity ver: 2.1.4

Had any other modifications been done before hand?

Thanks for the quick reply!
No modifications made on my instance.

Version 2.1.4 from the ppa has been updated within 2.1.4 today in the morning, so nightly backups have succeeded so far on my side and also your backup will fail tonight in case you run automatic updates.
So it even depends on the duplicity version timestamp and mine is:

$ apt list --installed | grep duplicity
duplicity/jammy,now 2.1.4-ppa202310201613~ubuntu22.04.1 amd64 [installed]

Hello

Not sure whats happening here but Iā€™ve just run an ā€œapt updateā€ and all I have is:

2 packages can be upgraded. Run ā€˜apt list --upgradableā€™ to see them.
root@xxxxx:/home/gez# apt list --upgradable
Listingā€¦ Done
python3-update-manager/jammy-updates 1:22.04.17 all [upgradable from: 1:22.04.10]
update-manager-core/jammy-updates 1:22.04.17 all [upgradable from: 1:22.04.10]

my duplicity: duplicity/jammy,now 2.1.4-ppa202310201613~ubuntu22.04.1 amd64 [installed]

Last nights backup went through no problems and this mornings manual backup no problems.

Sorry I seem to be at a loss to help, maybe re-running the setup again may overwrite the existing binaries and fix the issue.

Please keep us updated.

Just looking at that link for the ppa I canā€™t see any Published on 2023-12-18

Am I looking in the wrong place?

You might purge duplicity ppa version and install a snap duplicity see if it is working like the example for the arm64 problem here: Using MIAB On ARM

No, you are looking in the right place, update was today morning.
First I was writing about the standard Ubuntu duplicity package, that was updated on 18th. I included the link where I was looking into in my original post.
Then I realized Mailinabox introduced the ppa. Thatā€™s why I put the ā€˜Edit:ā€™ section in.

So you re-ran the backup and it was fine, interesting!
I also re-ran the installer, and then the backup, but that didnā€™t change anything.

Tried this approach, had to add a symlink for the backup script to start
sudo ln -s /snap/bin/duplicity /usr/bin/duplicity
but then again

$ sudo ./management/backup.py 
CommandLineError: argument --gpg-options: expected one argument
Something is wrong with the backup: ERROR 23 CommandLineError
. CommandLineError: argument --gpg-options: expected one argument

Nice try, but didnā€™t help. So Iā€™m going back to the ppa and standard mailinabox.

Yep all ran ok. If i send you my ā€œmailinabox/management/backup.pyā€ file you could run a diff against yours to see if thereā€™s any difference. Let me know if you want the copy

FYI: Manual backup made about 08:42 this morning

Ok, problem solved:
My installation was missing the patched version for the backup script that was discussed in

and can be found in

Copied in the latest version, ran backup manually and now Iā€™m fine.
I have no Idea, why the reinstall didnā€™t update the backup script.

Glad to hear that.

Thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

Iā€™m just chiming in to say that I had the exact same problem. Today I upgraded from v63 to v67. I donā€™t think I ever manually modified anything in the mailinabox directory so I was surprised that the backup.py didnā€™t update.

I had the duplicity issue before. I thought it was a duplicity bug so I manually downgraded duplicity and told apt to block that specific version. When the next duplicity build was released it automatically updated and my backups have been broken since, i.e. for 3 months. Today I decided to fix it. My first step was to update to the newest mailinabox. I manually ran the backup.py and I kept getting the same ERROR 23 until I manually copied in the latest backup.py from git.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.