Apt-Get Upgrade Stuck At PHP 7.2 Issue

Hi Everyone.

Environment from System Status Checks > System Section

✓	All system services are running.
✓	SSH disallows password-based login.
✖	There are 18 software packages that can be updated.
[show more]
✓	Mail-in-a-Box is up to date. You are running version v0.40.
✓	System administrator address exists as a mail alias. [administrator@domain.tld ↦ me@domain.tld]
✓	The disk has 18.56 GB space remaining.
✓	System memory is 43% free.

I understand I am new here.

I searched for this issue both in this forum and Google with no luck.

I have a 4-day old fresh 18.04 LTS install of MIAB hosted on Vultr.com and followed the Setup Guide to the tee.

Today I was notified in System Status Checks: There are 18 software packages that can be updated.

So I followed the Maintenance Guide and ran:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

which stalled at an ncurses-style screen:

php.ini: A new version (/usr/lib/php/7.2/php.ini-production) of configuration file /etc/php/7.2/fpm/php.ini is available, but the version installed currently has been locally modified.

What do you want to do about modified configuration file php.ini?

- install the package maintainer's version
- keep the local version currently installed
- show the differences between the versions
- show a side-by-side difference between the versions
- start a new shell to examine the situation

What I see from this notice is it is comparing to different files: /usr/lib/php/7.2/php.ini-production, and /etc/php/7.2/fpm/php.ini.

My Question: which option should I choose in the screen?

Here is a screen-shot for reference. I hope you can see it.

Thank you in advance.
Scott

Always “Keep the local” version. Always.

1 Like

Will do. Thank you Sir!

A side note, I hear Vultr requires that you get on your knees and beg them to open SMTP ports on their servers. Is this true? How was the process, if true, that you have to go through to run a mail server on their VPS?

Also, oooof. Apple.

Just as a side note to this. Last night I observed the update to php 7.2 requiring the 18 software package update. This morning I logged in to do the update but I am now told no updates are needed.

I wonder if this update has been pulled, at least for the time being?

@Eliter - Just for info I moved away from Vultr due to this policy. My box now happily resides on Linode with no issues. HTH.

@HFinch are you the same user as @stn?

No I am not. I joined this group in 2017 when I made my first MIAB installation.

MiaB does package upgrades at 03h00 as part of their daily maintenance.

Yes, thanks for the info. My system emails are all generated at 03h00 when that maintainance starts.

I have found the answer to my question from syslog. A cron job ran at 06h35 which successfully installed the new php7.2 packages.

I never heard of that. I had no issues at all firing this up and it worked out of the box. I have a DigitalOcean account too and chose Vultr over DO for this one. V is a workhorse but YMMV.

:grin: I love it though :heart_eyes: I’m a coder/designer by heart and fell in love!

Thanks for your reply.