Adding space to Disk (Digital Ocean)

Hey Everyone,

Just trying to keep company emails operational. I realized we are running low on disk space on our box server so I increased the space on our digital ocean volume. The increase of space isn’t registering into Box and I just wanted to be sure it mounted and everything is fine. Is there something else I need to do? I would really appreciate help with this!

Thank you,
Sam

This is a system issue and not really too much to do with MiaB.

You need to increase the partition size then increase the filesystem size. I have to admit, I haven’t done it in a long time, but here is the DO page that seems to cover everything:

You should spool up a droplet of the original size and increase it, then run the commands to be sure. It looks simple enough, but any problems and you’ll be finding out if those backups you made beforehand actually work.

I went a different route with this and used D.O. volumes to add additional space

Mount new storage on Digital Ocean

Delete all UFW rules, except for SSH

Create a filesystem for an external volume.

Create a mount point for your volume:

mkdir -p /mnt/volume_volume_lon1_01

mount -o discard,defaults,noatime /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-0DO_Volume_volume-lon1-01 /mnt/volume_lon1_01

Copy data from current storage to the new. I should say that I did this when no services were running on the machine. If you do this to a fully operational system, you should make sure that all services that work with the data are temporarily stopped.

cd /home/user-data
cp -av * .* /mnt/volume_lon1_01

Fix the top-level permissions of the mounted volume.

chown user-data.user-data /mnt/volume_lon1_01

Now move the old user-data out of the way and mount the new one in its place:

umount /mnt/volume_lon1_01
cd /home
mv user-data user-data.old
mkdir user-data
mount -o discard,defaults,noatime /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-0DO_Volume_volume-lon1-01 user-data

Add a line to /etc/fstab to auto-mount the volume on reboot:

echo '/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-0DO_Volume_volume-lon1-01 /mnt/volume_lon1_01 ext4 defaults,nofail,discard 0 0' | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab

RE-add deleted UFW rules

ufw allow in 53
ufw allow in 25/tcp
ufw allow in 587/tcp
ufw allow in 993/tcp
ufw allow in 995/tcp
ufw allow in 4190/tcp
ufw allow in 80/tcp
ufw allow in 443/tcp
ufw limit in 22/tcp

*** Obviously your volume names etc may differ.

This topic was automatically closed 40 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.