421 connection refused by mxmta.owm.bell.net

Hello,

Just recently I have not been able to send any mail to domain sympatico.ca which uses this mxmta.owm.bell.net domain. It returns “421 connection refused from [my IP]”.

I have tried looking for contact people at sympatico but no luck so far.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Dan

More often than not the bounce message will have a link with more information … did you read through the bounce message carefully to be sure that you didn’t miss it?

Of course, oftentimes the links are useless … but that is the first place to start.

Thanks for the reply.

There are no links in the bounce message other than the e-mail addresses involved. It is happening for every user with @sympatico.ca domain.

xxx@bell.net: host mxmta.owm.bell.net[184.150.200.82] said: 421 connection refused from [x.x.x.153] (in reply to end of DATA command)

It is a new issue for about a month. Never had this problem before with this domain. Been running MIAB for 2 years.

Dan

ssh to your mailinabox. Then ‘tail -f /var/log/mail.log’. While viewing that log, send an email to someone at sympatico.ca and see what the problem is. You won’t get every reason for failure in the bounced email.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don’t see anything other useful information:

Sep 1 13:41:35 box postfix/smtp[2608]: 7B357201CF: to=XXX@sympatico.ca, relay=mxmta.owm.bell.net[184.150.200.82]:25, delay=0.55, delays=0.14/0.01/0.07/0.32, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (host mxmta.owm.bell.net[184.150.200.82] said: 421 connection refused from [x.x.x.153] (in reply to end of DATA command))

Well there is always the old school approach.

Attempt to send an email with the above log entry (not sanitized) to postmaster@sympatico.ca and cc it to postmaster@bell.ca along with a request to unblock your IP. There is a slight chance that the email to sympatico.ca will be allowed, and if it is not, bell.ca will forward it on.