I just noticed a issue that has come up somewhat recently.
I have a few custom servers, that occasionally I get cron errors sent via email. I just noticed one of them the emails are not getting through (looks like my Mail-in-a-Box is blocking using zen.spamhaus.org).
I would like to if possible add the IP’s of my 5 servers so that Mail-in-a-Box lets those messages through without checking.
If possible, please let me know how to best accomplish this, I have been looking around, but not really finding any way to do this.
First of all, if you’re indeed blocked via spamhaus, see if you can get delisted via https://check.spamhaus.org/
Secondly, you can create a whitelist for spamassasin as follows.
Create a text file e.g.
/etc/spamassassin/90_local.cf with contents
You can add multiple lines.
Thinking about this some more, perhaps it is best if you post some more information on how the mails are not getting through. Are they ending up in your spam folder? Then post the X-Spam-* headers of the e-mail. Is the mail not delivered at all? Try to search
/var/log/mail.log for specific line regarding that mail.
I am completely baffled by this the more I look into it, and my VPS host has also checked a bit.
Spamhaus says the IP is ok, but messages are being returned:
Final-Recipient: RFC822; email@example.com
Remote-MTA: DNS; xxx.xxxxxxxxx.com
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [xxxx:xxxx:xx::84] blocked using zen.spamhaus.org; https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/query/SBLCSS
Last-Attempt-Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 06:11:06 -0500
I also added whitelist in SpamAssassin which doesn’t appear to be doing anything to help.
These are crontab emails through sendmail from 4 other servers, to me on my server. All for servers set up the same (but different cities same VPS provider). Only 1 are the emails going through correctly, the rest say being blocked by Spamhaus.
It’s just frustrating as it appears that MIAB says it is blocking them because of Spamhaus, but Spamhaus says those IP’s are not on any block lists. MIAB may be blocking for some other reason, but if so, it’s saying Spamhaus incorrectly if that is the case, and not giving the correct reason.
I’ve been looking everywhere I can think to look, but not really finding anything that is pointing to what the real issue is.
Do not use sendmail. Use ssmtp. ssmtp emulates sendmail. Open an account on your own server for ssmtp.