Website and emails from second level domain

Seems like an obvious question so I must have overlooked the answer.

I’d like to keep hosting my static site elsewhere, but also recieve emails at the second level domain.

So, address@domain.org, and domain.org. With mail-in-a-box only handling the emails. From the status page i get the impression that domain(dot)org has to be directed at the mail-in-a-box server.

(sorry it was restricting the number of links i include despite them being examples XD)

Is this configuration possible?

Yes, absolutely.

On the Custom DNS page in the admin area, add the A/AAAA record(s) of the website and viola!

so on my external dns i point example.org to mailinabox and on mailinabox i point example.org to the. website?

You did not mention that you use External DNS in your OP. @Quddus

You can add a Custom DNS entry to make the MiaB admin status checks happy, and you must have the appropriate A/AAAA records at your External DNS provider.

1 Like

@alento Sorry that I was not clear. I do want to continue using an external dns unless it overcomplicates things. (I have quite a few subdomain records in place and would like to wait to migrate them until I have had a chance to use MiaB)

On the status check i see. the follwoing error:

This domain should resolve to your box's IP address (A yyy.yyy.yy.yy) if you would like the box to serve webmail or a website on this domain. 
The domain currently resolves to xx.xx.xx.xx in public DNS. 
It may take several hours for public DNS to update after a change. 
This problem may result from other issues listed here.

From this I gather that an A record for the second level domain (with no subdoomain) needs to be directed at MiaB. What custom dns entry would meet the needs of the status check without requiring migrating to MiaB for my DNS? (But also allowing me to recieve and send mail at address@domain.com)

The thing that many people do not understand is that MiaB

EXPECTS

to be DNS for their domains that are served by it. It also EXPECTS to serve any web page on the domain.

Although MiaB expects it to serve DNS, it is not required. The same with a web page.

However, if you want to see things properly (when using external DNS) then you must tell MiaB that there is a web site hosted away from the MiaB server itself. For this it is necessary to enter the Custom DNS records which will tell MiaB to expect the web page to be hosted at the IP address listed.

Again, you need to enter the appropriate A/AAAA records for the web site on the Custom DNS page in the MiaB admin area. @Quddus

On your external DNS, you need to set the records as shown under System >> External DNS.

This includes setting an A record for the MIAB server at box.domain.com as well as the MX record and other supporting records.

Once you’ve done that, let things settle for a bit and you should be fine.

D’oh I overlooked that menu page. Thanks both of you.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.