Webmaster@ alias denied for security reasons

I have MIAB working pretty well but I want to add a ton of domains and set up webmaster@ each domain to point to different aliases. Unfortunately there appears to be a security setting in MIAB that does not like this, as I get the following error:

“This alias can only have administrators of this system as destinations because the address is frequently used for domain control validation.”

I certainly understand the reasoning for this limitation, however I am the only admin and only I can setup aliases, so I know exactly what I’m doing. How can I disable this (if I need to comment out some code, etc… just tell me where) – or is there a setting I can check that says yes, I know what I’m doing, do it anyway!

I might add that the alias I’ll be creating for these will be directed off-box – ie, the destination won’t be on this server. So it just needs to forward somewhere else.

I think you need to edit Line 80 in mailconfig.py file

I think you just remove the webmaster there.

Be aware: (from Changelog)

In order to guard against misconfiguration that can lead to domain control validation hijacking, email addresses that begin with admin, administrator, postmaster, hostmaster, and webmaster can no longer be used for (new) mail user accounts, and aliases for these addresses may direct mail only to the box’s administrator(s).

This would be a non-supported modification and would be overwritten on upgrade, so you’d need to redo it each time.

Perfect, I’ll give it a try and report back, thank you!

Thank you very much for the assistance. After making the change and restarting the mailinabox process, it worked great. Here’s the contents of the patch as far as the changes I made:

--- mailconfig.py.back	2017-01-19 11:12:59.898307119 -0600
+++ mailconfig.py	2017-01-19 11:15:45.030265086 -0600
@@ -77,7 +77,7 @@

def is_dcv_address(email):
 	email = email.lower()
-	for localpart in ("admin", "administrator", "postmaster", "hostmaster", "webmaster", "abuse"):
+	for localpart in ("postmaster", "hostmaster", "abuse"):
 		if email.startswith(localpart+"@") or email.startswith(localpart+"+"):
 			return True
 	return False

After I made this change however, it appears that the system is bugged, I keep getting abuse and postmaster creation notices for old domains I created before doing new ones… like, it is trying to recreate those alises every time. Not sure how to “flush” that out.

For example, this list keeps growing with everything I add:

alias added
added alias postmaster@appleforums.net (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias postmaster@galaxytabforums.net (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias abuse@htconeforum.com (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias postmaster@thephotoforum.com (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias abuse@walkeraforums.com (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias postmaster@incredibleforum.com (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias abuse@chargeforums.com (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias abuse@galaxys5forums.net (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias postmaster@thunderboltforums.com (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias postmaster@walkeraforums.com (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias postmaster@airlineforums.com (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias abuse@thephotoforum.com (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias abuse@appleforums.net (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias postmaster@goprokarma.net (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias postmaster@windowsphoneforum.net (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias postmaster@galaxys5forums.net (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias postmaster@chargeforums.com (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias abuse@thunderboltforums.com (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias abuse@airlineforums.com (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias postmaster@htconeforum.com (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias postmaster@galaxyforums.net (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias abuse@goprokarma.net (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias abuse@windowsphoneforum.net (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias abuse@incredibleforum.com (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias abuse@galaxytabforums.net (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
added alias abuse@galaxyforums.net (=> administrator@ffmail.forumfoundry.com)
updated DNS: kindle-fireforum.com
web updated

Well I think that’s in another part of file. This is why you really shouldn’t modify the “standard” installation.

You’re asking to make changes to this file: