Using MIAB as an email server for WordPress install on seperate VPS

Hi all,

I would like to use MIAB to send emails generated by WordPress (new user sign up, etc…)

I would like to think I can configure my WordPress installation to forward email to my MIAB VPS (two different boxes) so MIAB can handle the mail without me having to configure my WordPress server to do it - I figure I already have an email server so I may as well use it.

I came across a plugin, Cimy Swift SMTP, that sounds like it does what I want but I’m not too certain.

I have attached a screenshot of the config expected from this plugin.

Presumably I would need to whitelist the IP that my WordPress install sits on?

Can anyone please offer any advice?

Thanks!

I’m using ‘Joomla!’ instead than ‘Wordpress’ for my sites but seems my way will work for you too…

• The use of my MiaB SMTP settings directly fail there… then
  • I’m using a Mandrill SMTP gateway configured to send out the default confirmation mails in my Joomla! config. file and never had a problem again.
  • Alternatively you could use Mailgun
  • Just use the one better meets your needs within your ‘Wordpress’ site(s).
    Hope this helps,

This will work as long as STARTTLS is available in the Use SSL or TLS? dropdown. Personally, I use WP Mail SMTP.

You’ll need to send from a valid MIAB inbox. You can also send as an alias, but will still need valid inbox credentials for your MIAB.

I have created a no-reply@domainname.ext account on my MIAB and used the credentials with the ‘Configure SMTP’ Wordpress plugin which can be found at: https://wordpress.org/plugins/configure-smtp/

Just set the sender name as something else then no-reply to make sure your mailbox isn’t flooded.

Hey folks,

Thanks for the replies so far! Unfortunately STARTTLS isn’t available in that list, J376A but I’ll be sure to check out the other Plugin in the next day or so.

Mailgun also sounds good, just4t - thanks for the suggestion.

Will be a few days before I get round to testing again but will definitely feedback once I have a solution.

Hey dofl,

Just wanted to let you know that your solution works perfectly!

Really appreciate your help - you’ve helped me with the last piece of a puzzle I was tasked with solving.

I tried a few plugins (except the outdated Configure SMTP one), but authentication failed every time.

Example log:

220 megliomail.com.de ESMTP Hi, I'm a Mail-in-a-Box (Ubuntu/Postfix; see https://mailinabox.email/)
EHLO 178.62.246.179
250-megliomail.com.de
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 134217728
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
STARTTLS
220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
EHLO 178.62.246.179
250-megliomail.com.de
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 134217728
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
AUTH PLAIN
-- a base64  encoded string containing login and password here / removed for security reasons --
535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: 

Any ideas?

What does your config looks like?

I detected the problem. It was utf8 symbols used in the domain part of the email/username. As soon as using punycode, authentication works.

should work fine. I have it on most of my wordpress sites using the EasySMTP plugin.