Upgrading from 0.57a on 18.04LTS to current version. Options/Input please

About me
I haven’t posted for a while as I have been in and out of hospital with lots of medical stuff going on - too many surgeries to bore people but 10+ general anaesthetics and feeling like that and time away makes me feel like I have forgotten more than I knew about system admin. As such I would truly appreciate some input as I am probably overlooking something…

The system
I am running MIAB 0.57a hosted on AWS (t3.micro) with 80g EBS storage.
Total size of the backups are currently 34.5 GB.
Before I was hospitalised I upgraded to 18.04LTS and weekly upgrade/patch script with reboot.

Its family domain with historical mail but is well used. Access is all via IMAP and no Roundcube usage however that prompted me to figure out next steps.

I have got snapshots of this image as well as a new instance with 22.04 and v60 running but got stuck with data/restore times and it got too hard with lots of painkillers in my brain.

Questions
My concern is the best practice/timing for restoring of data and how long that might take.
From what I can see my options are:

1. Recommended process. Create new instance, setup MIAB and then restore data. I am assuming that as per the backup, with the restore the system is offline and I dont know how long it will take to restore 35gb and would appreciate any input/tips on even getting those commands correct.

2. Try upgrade in place (after having snapshot image backups of existing install).

I do have time and dont mind testing a few things. I might be missing a third option. I am assuming I may be able to do a test restore to a new host.

Any input would be appreciated. I am technical but feeling like a noob again…

Thanks

Setup the new server and then look at using something like IMAPSYNC to do the transfer. It can do one account at a time. After the initial transfer, getting all the messages copied, you can run it one more time for each account and then switch everyone to the new server. If necessary, you can run it one more time after the changeover to pick up any messages that came in.

You can do this on a new VPS to test it, just don’t move the dns. If you’re satisfied that it works correctly, you do it for real.
Look at Mail-in-a-Box Maintenance Guide under Moving to a New Box for instructions. Just leave the old box running, you don’t need to reset the firewall.

This is indeed so, in the instructions referred to above, the firewall is used to make the box inaccessible.

Note that as long as you keep the old box running, you can always fall back to using that.

Thanks for the info. I shall do this and report back.
I had seen another post about issues with the restore using S3 as the syntax was a bit unexpected but this is a great way to move forward.

Interesting idea. I had used imapsync extensively when we setup the server to consolidate email from different sources.

I will try the restore first as I haven’t tested this since install. Also I am hoping it should be quicker using s3 but we shall see… At a minimum I can report statistics as to how long practically.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.