Upgrade from 57a - Restore backup

I am trying to migrate from 57a. I have set up a new box. I am stuck at restoring backups

when I run the command command it fails to restore.

sudo -E duplicity restore --force file://./restore /home/user-data/

sudo: unable to resolve host [my host]: Temporary failure in name resolution
Synchronizing remote metadata to local cache…
Copying duplicity-full-signatures.20231119T035807Z.sigtar.gpg to local cache.
GPGError: GPG Failed, see log below:
===== Begin GnuPG log =====
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: decrypt_message failed: Unknown system error
===== End GnuPG log =====

It looks to me like duplicity cannot find the data to decrypt and restore. The command you pasted seems to be trying to use a relative path, but I’ve only ever used this with the source path being absolute and it must point to the directory where the encrypted backup data is stored, which is called “encrypted” on a MaiB server.

So, assuming your encrypted backup data is somewhere on the new MiaB server, your command should look something like this (you’d need to replace my source path with where you have your “encrypted” directory):
sudo -E duplicity restore --force file:///root/mib-upgrade/backup/encrypted/ /home/user-data/

That command, btw, was taken from my bash history from when I upgraded to Ubuntu 22. I had placed the encrypted data under the /root home directory.

One final tip, you might want to play around with getting it to work using a temporary destination directory, until you’re sure it’s working correctly. Just to make sure you don’t mess up your freshly installed /home/user-data/ directory (although that’s just me being super cautious).

This stackoverflow post confirms that a relative path with a file URI does not work: File Uri Scheme and Relative Files - Stack Overflow

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.