Unable to install--fails [solved]

I did attempt a new install of miab on the fresh install of Ubuntu. I put us.archive.ubuntu.com and ppa.launchpadcontent.net in the hosts file. It got all the way to Roundcube before it stopped unable to resolve github.com. I can’t figure what about the install of nsd is breaking name resolution…

Going offline now.

I ALWAYS seem to miss this and it always comes back to haunt me.

MiaB was written with the intention of being hosted on a VPS in a data center. Once you add local hosting into the mix there are just too many variables at play for the project to be able to support any configuration outside of the box.

It just didn’t make sense to me that there are so many issues encountered with the installation of v 60.1, so I had to do it for myself … yes, this is the first time I have installed on a Ubuntu 22.04 OS using post v60.

It went nearly flawlessly for me. I had one issue which was my own mistake so it is not worth mentioning as it will not affect any other installs.

I wish you the best of luck, but I do not know what issue you may be facing specifically. Might I suggest that during the install you run a second terminal session and watch syslog as MiaB installs? It may give you some insight as to what is happening. To do this the command is tail -f /var/log/syslog. For me, that helped identify my mistake.

I wish you luck, and if I can offer any assistance, don’t hesitate … but I simply am not a networking person so I cannot really help with this type of installation.

Vic

For those wondering - I installed this current box on a domain which had a test box installed before. I didn’t realize that DNSSEC was set, so I did not disable it when I updated Glue. The install was as slow as molasses and I could see why. After I removed the DS record at the registrar, all was great!

github is blocking your IP address. Probably why it fails (residential IP block?) Setup on a clean VPS as suggested.

We are in a large data center with several class Cs and multiple major ISPs. I can get to github with no problem. I hate Windows. Hate it. But I’ve never had so many problem with just getting name resolution before. This is an out-of-the-box Ubuntu install. It’s frustrating. Learning a lot, though.

Well–I resolved the issue. It makes no sense to me at all why I am the only one having the issue. Here is a summary of what it was.

When MIAB installs bind a file is placed in the /etc/bind folder called named.conf.options. In that file there is a setting set as follows:

dnssec-validation auto;

If I install bind before installing miab and change that setting from ‘auto’ to ‘yes’ and then install miab it works without any issues or problems. Name resolution is never lost and the install completes with no errors. I don’t understand it. Looks like if it happens to me on a fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04 it would happen to everyone on a fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04 who then installs miab.

Anyway–wanted to let you all know in case anyone else runs into the issue. If your Ubuntu 22.04 box loses name resolution in the middle of the installation of miab–just make the single change to the above file and your install should complete with no issues.

Thanks for those of you who offered help and ideas. I am always impressed with the quality of people on this forum.

Mike

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.