Ubunut Release UpDate 18.04 -> 20.04 and MIAB

Has someone experience with doing a release upgrade from Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 and if everything (MIAB) still runs afterwards?

Some people tried this with Ubuntu 14.04 > 16.04. Some were successful, and some were not. This project is set to change underlying OS versions every 5 years to coincide with the LTS Ubuntu version reaching End of Life.

If you are using the server as only a mail server then I donā€™t see any real advantages to moving from 18.04 to 20.04.

As long as you keep up to date with package updates then all should be good.

1 Like

I have a fork of MIAB that works with Ubuntu 20.04 (and a lot of other stuff). See more here if youā€™re interested.

To be fair, though, I didnā€™t have a very legitimate reason to upgrade - I just went full YOLO on that. If you meant to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading, maybe sticking with 18.04 will serve you better.

1 Like

I just assumed, that keeping it ā€œup-to-dateā€ makes it easier for the migration.
I am afraid, that upgrading later from an very old version will become more diffictult or result in conflicts which could have been avoided if I did contiouns updates.
Maybe this assumtion is wrong though.

Cool thanks, Iā€™ll just checked out your page. Sounds awesome. Iā€™ll will check it out.

Absolutely! But ā€˜keeping it up to dateā€™ does not mean moving to a new release of the OS, rather it means keeping your current OS version updated regularly.

2 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll keep to 18.04 then and keep it updated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.