Support for Hidden Primary DNS

I’m trying to figure out if Mail-in-a-box supports .dk domains as the TLD “owner” dk-hostmaster has to validate/authorize all nameservers for the .dk domain.
I have my domain names registred with gratisdns.dk, which supports Hidden Primary DNS. I’m thinking that by utilising this with mail-in-a-box I should be able to run the actual nameserver on the mail-in-a-box, but have GratisDNS.dk’s nameservers be the official servers towards dk-hostmaster (SOA).

From gratisdns’ support page I have found the following (in danish): https://larsendata.wiki/gratisdns:hiddenprimary. A rough translation below with risk of my DNS knowledge mangling it even further:

Their example BIND file uses the following details:

DNS server’s IP: 80.80.80.80, web server’s IP: 80.80.80.81 and domain: domæne.dk (DNS: xn–domne-ura.dk)

Which results in a BIND conf that would be on the mail-in-a-box:

; Dropzone from GratisDNS.dk
$ORIGIN .
xn--domne-ura.dk 43200 IN SOA ns1.gratisdns.dk. hostmaster.xn--domne-ura.dk. (
serial 2004010101
)

localhost.xn--domne-ura.dk 43200 IN A 127.0.0.1
xn--domne-ura.dk 43200 IN MX 10 xn--domne-ura.dk.
xn--domne-ura.dk 43200 IN A 80.80.80.81
www.xn--domne-ura.dk 43200 IN CNAME xn--domne-ura.dk.
xn--domne-ura.dk 43200 IN NS ns5.gratisdns.dk.
xn--domne-ura.dk 43200 IN NS ns4.gratisdns.dk.
xn--domne-ura.dk 43200 IN NS ns3.gratisdns.dk.
xn--domne-ura.dk 43200 IN NS ns2.gratisdns.dk.
xn--domne-ura.dk 43200 IN NS ns1.gratisdns.dk.

And they then list the following things to note:

• You must increase the serial by one each time you change your zone file
  • You must allow free access for zone transfer (AXFR) of the zone, at least to the ip address related to axfr.gratisdns.dk.
  • That a serial is formatted as a date YYYYMMDDXX, where XX is the revision number for the day and the serial must be 10 numbers long
  • That a serial set to high is difficult to adjust down again

So is this possible to handle with mail-in-a-box or should I go look for a mail box solution that doesn’t rely on hosting the DNS server aswell?

Thanks

I guess I could just use gratisdns as an external DNS for my domain. I think I’ll go ahead and try that, though i’m still interested in doing it the with hidden primary DNS.

If it is currently not supported I will make a github issue and maybe someone @JoshData could give a few hints to where it could be implemented if you want it as feature?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.