Suitable top level domains

I’ve been running Mail-in-a-Box very happily for about a year, using a .one domain, on an Intel NUC at home. I’ve got a good ISP and got a nice clean (not blacklisted) IP address, so after a only few minor hassles, we’ve been sending and receiving reliably - “just like a bought one” :wink:

However it’s quite common to find websites (of quite major companies and universities) which refuse to accept the .one email address because it fails their (primitive pattern matching) email address validation.

I’m looking for the thoughts and experiences of people who have also used the less popular (new) TLDs. I could move everything to a .com or .net domain (though good domain names are mostly squattered) but I don’t want to go through all the hassle to find myself in a similar situation.

1 Like

Ultimately, if we include receiving servers not following the RFCs as a decision criteria, it becomes a nearly impossible target to hit. Best I can tell, .one become a TLD in 2015, so if they aren’t supporting .one 6 years after it launched, what is the likelihood they are supporting other “new” (e.g., <10 years old) TLDs?

I would first see if there is an admin address that you can notify, such as postmaster@example.com, just for the heck of it.

Also, I know this sounds arrogant, but they’ve got like an entire IT department and stuff while you just got a little NUC and hobby. Tell whoever it is you want to communicate with there to call their IT staff and ask them why an enthusiast with a budget mini-computer has a more capable mail system than they do?

1 Like

More power to the .one :slight_smile:

Just a thought … why not register (you really shouldn’t have to do this but…) a more traditional domain name and use it as a “Domain Alias” aliased to your .one domain?

Sounds interesting … but I don’t think I can use the new (alias) address in a MX record - I imagine all the signed certificates and so on would break.

On further checking, RFC 1123 5.2.2 and RFC 2181 10.3 both say the mail server cannot be a CNAME :frowning:

No no no, you are not following…