Setup mail in a box as a sub-domain and with different vps

I have a vps ex: 1.2.3.4 which is running my websites.
@ | A | 1.2.3.4
www | A | 1.2.3.4
opa | A | 1.2.3.4
box | A | 6.7.8.9
And i have different vps on which i installed MIAB ex: 6.7.8.9. i have created subdomain (box) and for MIAB.

My question how can i make it work because in check list i am getting following errors

This domain should resolve to your box’s IP address (A 6.7.8.9) if you would like the box to serve webmail or a website on this domain. The domain currently resolves to 1.2.3.4.5 in public DNS. It may take several hours for public DNS to update after a change. This problem may result from other issues listed here.

Can i point my domain settings for two vps one for running websites and other for mail server just for box sub domain?

Yes, that is exactly how it is done. Where is your domain DNS being hosted?

You have two options for DNS for your domain … let it continue to be hosted where it is currently hosted or to allow MiaB to host DNS for your domain.

Personally, I much prefer that DNS is hosted elsewhere if there are other services on the domain. However, if the domain is an email only domain or only hosts a website that is hosted on the MiaB server itself, then I prefer that DNS is handled by MiaB.

@ahmedwaleed Check if this one could help you: Looking for a nOObs guide to keeping my separate webserver

1 Like

My Domain and vps are are being hosted on transip.

Do i still have to replace my transip default nameservers with MIAB nameservers if i am using external dns?

No, that is the definition of ‘external DNS’ … hosting your DNS external to MiaB. So if you are hosting DNS on transip for the domain then you need to copy the records from the ‘External DNS’ page in the admin area to that DNS. It looks like you have it correct in your earlier post.

Also, if you are using ‘External DNS’ you skip the part of the setup guide dealing with ‘Glue Records’ as they will not be used.

Oh, and to address this “error” you can add a entry to the ‘Custom DNS’ page in the admin area for www at 1.2.3.4

@alento thanks for the replies i made it worked with the help of your replies. No i have one more question.

Can i make my base domean ex maydeomain.tld to send and recieve email as a user.

I also want to add multipe mx record but when i do this i am getting following error

This domain’s DNS MX record is incorrect. It is currently set to ‘1 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM; 10 ALT3.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM; 10 ALT4.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM; 10 box.capwell.nl; 5 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM; 5 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM’ but should be ‘10 box.capwell.nl’. Mail will not be delivered to this box. It may take several hours for public DNS to update after a change. This problem may result from other issues listed here.

the reason i want to keep multiple mx records is we have G-suit google cloud environment for businesses, we all have a mailbox there ex: user@capwell.nl is a gmail box.

Sorry … for the most part, you cannot do this.

That said there is a method of doing split MX delivery … but I am not familiar with it off the top of my head. Let me do some research this evening.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but it is unclear to me what you are asking I think that you are asking if you can host email for domain.com on your MiaB … and well that is the default setup, so please elaborate.

I want to send email as domain.com instead of user@domain.com, is it possible?

No, email is always attached to a email address, i.e. user@domain.com. This never can be changed.

I am curious though, why you would want that?

Just a requirement from client :confused:

@alento Thank you so much for the support and replies very much appreciated.

Sounds like you need to give said client an education.

Any chance that they aren’t referring to the display name instead?

I think that’s exactly what they referring to, is it possible to change display name of the sender to domain.com?

That is controlled by the sending email client.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.