Setting up the Mutt email client with Mail In A Box

Hi all,

I have a Mail in a Box set and I’m working with Thunderbird and the built-in Android client without an issue, and I also tried out Claws-mail and it works fine.

I decided to use Mutt for some of my needs (OK, to be a Cool-Kid™ that sends mail from the command line. Sue me!). Setting it up was a bit of a hassle, and seeing that I’ve already got it running, I might as well share my setup.

The main setup of mutt is in the file ~/.mutt/muttrc, mine looks like this (domain, email and PASSWORD are place holders):

set ssl_starttls=yes
set ssl_force_tls=yes

set from = "mail@domain.com"
set realname = "My Name"
set imap_user = "mail@domain.com""
set folder = "imaps://box.domain.com:993"
set spoolfile = "imaps://box.domain.com/INBOX"
set postponed = "imaps://box.domain.com/Drafts"
set trash = "imaps://box.domain.com/Trash"
set header_cache =~/.mutt/cache/headers
set message_cachedir =~/.mutt/cache/bodies
set certificate_file =~/.mutt/certificates
set move = no
set imap_keepalive = 900

# this can be encrypted in another file 
set imap_pass = "PASSWORD"
set smtp_url = 'smtp://domain.com:PASSWORD@box.domain.com:587/'

As you can see, mutt saves passwords in plain text. I wanted to encrypt it. If that’s what you want to do I used the advice in this link to set it up: http://xmodulo.com/mutt-email-client-encrypted-passwords.html

But this setup should basically work with Mail In A Box as far as I understand.

Have a nice and free-as-speech-and-beer day!

Maybe, it’s not the answer you want, but if you use a private key for signing in to your mailserver (ssh), there is no risk involved for hacking your password and getting SSH access to your box.

The password is encrypted transmitted to the smtp/imap server

I don’t now where the password file is stored, but you can change the rights to 400 (r-- — ---)

I haven’t asked a question, though that is good to know.

Thanks for sharing - that’s something I’d wanted to try, too!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.