Secondary NS on Hurricane Electric

Hi all,

Want to set up on the Hurricane Electric for secondary DNS services but keep on getting error messages.

Below is steps I’ve taken. Can anyone point out what I am missing:

1. on box / Custom DNS / Using a secondary nameserver

ns2.he.net xfr:216.218.133.2”

First part is the HE nameserver to use as secondary
Second is to allow AFXR from the MiaB machine to HE

1. on HE DNS

“add slave”

Domain name - [[my domain]] (no box/ns - just the plain name)
Master #1 - ns1.box.[[my domain]]

Been trying different combinations of the above but always end up with “You must delegate to one of the slave nameservers”

Have you pointed the nameservers at your domain registrar correctly? In other words, replaced ns2.box.mydomain.tld with ns2.he.net?

This is just a guess as I haven’t used Hurricane Electric for Secondary DNS, but they may check the delegation as a part of the onboarding process.

Yeh I did that. I think perhaps problems must be at HE end since I managed to find another provider and verified that AFXRs are working fine from MiaB.

Ok, great! My recommended provider is currently puck.nether.net unless you want a paid provider.

I have written a new guide to Secondary DNS to replace the long defunct link in the setup guide. I just need to get it formatted to look good and get it online … someday.

Cool - I used https://freedns.42.pl

Both puck.nether.net (what a name!) and the above seem pretty good for keeping things simple while still giving access to raw info if needed

I managed to get Hurricane Electric running very nicely and under 5 minutes, though!

Before you actually add the slave zones on the HE control panel, you’ll need to actually delegate them on your box and on your registry (or registrar).

In my case, I will need to delegate all four of the servers presented (the Internet standards recommend between 2 and 7 servers answering) before I can add the zone.

So in your box you would put:

ns1.he.net ns2.he.net ns3.he.net ns4.he.net ns5.he.net xfr:216.218.133.2 xfr:2001:470:600::2
(You can actually delegate ALL FIVE of them)

Then add those to your registrar (example for Namecheap)

Only then, you create the zone on HE:

3 Likes

Yeh I’ve found HE to be very strong technically but a bit short with the messages/instructions. I have managed to get it to work for other domains but very hit-and-miss (and mysterious when missing what is breaking down).

Anyway; I give it another shot based on your screenshots and see how it goes (just tried and failed again but that might be due to DNS propagation issues; lets see again tomorrow…)

Never mind - just tried again and it worked; great thanks for the helpful guide.

1 Like