Scan to Email - Disconnects directly after STARTTLS

Hi, I just setup my first Mail-in-a-Box server on Digital Ocean and so far it’s going pretty good. I’ve two issues so far: 1. Gmail blocks my mails and 2. Can’t get my Konica Minolta printer to send scan to email. I’ll focus on the Scan to mail issue in this post.

This is what I get from the logs while trying to scan from the printer:
Jan 26 10:31:58 box postfix/submission/smtpd[16838]: connect from vc-gp-n-105-xxx-xx-xxx.umts.vodacom.co.za[105.xxx.xx.xxx]
Jan 26 10:32:00 box postfix/submission/smtpd[16838]: lost connection after STARTTLS from vc-gp-n-105-xxx-xx-xxx.umts.vodacom.co.za[105.xxx.xx.xxx]
Jan 26 10:32:00 box postfix/submission/smtpd[16838]: disconnect from vc-gp-n-105-xxx-xx-xxx.umts.vodacom.co.za[105.xxx.xx.xxx1] ehlo=1 starttls=1 commands=2

Make sure that your IP is not listed in ANY Blacklists … a good tool to use to test with is Email Blacklist Check - IP Blacklist Check - See if your server is blacklisted which checks most of the more prominent blacklists. Give time for DNS to fully propagate. Join Google’s Postmaster Tools program and update your DNS with the code that they provide.

Ok, you got me there as I do not use a printer with that function. That said, it seems from the log entries that your printer is attempting to send email? If that is the case, does your printer have valid login credentials and is it connecting on the correct port?

@alento Thank you for the quick reply. Herewith my feedback:

My IP is 100% clean on MXToolbox. I also joined the Postmaster Tools and added my domain there (with a TXT record). This is the error I get from Google: Our system has detected that this message is 550-5.7.1 likely unsolicited mail.

It almost looks to me like the ISP (Vodacom) is closing the connection before it can finish sending the mail but if I setup the same email account on Outlook on the same network then I can send/receive without problem so I assume the issue must be with the printer. It might not to the STARTTLS correctly. Is there a way to enable standard Port 25 without encryption on MIAB?

Do a Google search on what I quoted … it may be of some help. I came across this article: How to Remove Your IP from the Gmail Blacklist - rackAID

No, not any longer … access to Port 25 was removed with the last update.

Thank you @alento - I’ll go through the link. I found this link too which has been helpful as well: Gmail blacklist removal: How to Remove Your IP from Gmail's Blacklist

I assume if then have to use STARTTLS on Port 587? No way around that?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.