Sa-learn processes killing the box

I have been suffering with really poor performance for a week or so sa-learn processes killing the box and think I have finally figured it out.

The sa-learn processes seemed to be processing deleted mail. I access the mail from my Mac over imap and the mail app uses “Bin” as the mail folder name for deleted mail, I believe dovecot/spamassasin was processing all my deleted mail as Ham !

I updated /etc/dovecot/conf.d/99-local-spamd.conf and added bin to the trash line:

antispam_trash_pattern_ignorecase = bin;trash;Deleted *

This appears to have cured the problem,

Maybe this could be added to the default configuration

Instead of modifying a file that will be overwritten in an update, you should modify the client config to move deleted items to trash instead of bin.

I believe bin is a default for millions of iphone/mac users, I really don’t think i can force them to change their configs :slight_smile:

I will keep an eye on it and patch after each update. I hoped it might help someone else who starts having the same performance impacting issue.

I guess Junk would be classed as a ham folder and not spam too. Other mail clients may well use other names for these slightly special mail folders, food for thought

This topic was automatically closed after 61 days. New replies are no longer allowed.