Rsync backup on a non-standard port?

I’d like to have a backup of my email go to my Synology unit, and it has SSH running on a non-standard port as I’m trying to prevent dictionary attacks.

Is there any way to configure rsync to use the non-standard port?

Thanks,

Aaron Kulbe

1 Like

Hi Aaron,

I am in no way technically competent, but I needed to do the same thing. Well, do backups to a machine using a non-standard port for SSH.

There IS some way to configure rsync to push backups to the machine using the non-standard port but I gave up in frustration after several hours of trying to make it work.

What I did instead was to PULL backups to the machine using the non-standard port. Works like a charm using a daily cron job. :slight_smile:

I think my method would be considered an unsupported modification. I am not sure.

What I did was to make the user ‘user-data’ on the machine running MiaB able to be logged in to via SSH. I then run the following rsync command:

rsync -azP -e ‘ssh -p 22222’ --delete user-data@111.222.333.444:/home/user-data/backup/encrypted /pathtobackupdir

where 22222 is the non-standard port on the machine running MiaB (both machines use non-standard SSH ports), 111.222.333.444 is the IP of the server running MiaB, and /pathtobackupdir is the backup directory on the machine being backed up to. Please note that there is a space between encrypted and /pathtobackupdir.

Hope this help … and I’d be interested to see if someone who has a clue what they are doing has a better solution. :slight_smile:

1 Like