Restore from backup not possible

Hi,

I am trying to move MIAB to a new server. I am struggling with the restore process. Everything seems fine but after the duplicity restore process there is no new data in /home/user-data/. Weird is the disk space decreases as I’d expect. But I’m not able to locate any new files.

I am strictly following the process described here: https://mailinabox.email/maintenance.html#moving-boxes

My backup is on S3 and the download and decryption seems OK. The backup should have approx. 23 GB. After following the tutorial incl. re-setupping MIAB I end with adecquately lower disk space and a clear box. There are no restored settings, users etc. The droplet comes absolutely clean with 18.04.

Can anyone guess what am I doing wrong?

In your first screen shot, it looks like you’re restoring to ‘home/user-data’ – NOT ‘/home/user-data’ – you’re missing the first /. In your screen shot, you’re logged in as root in the folder ~, so, it looks like you’re restoring to /root/home/user-data.

Do the files exist in your root user’s home folder? If so, you could just move them from /root/home/user-data folder to /home/user-data.

If they don’t exist, if you restore again, make sure you have that initial / in the command. Your command should look similar to the following (you’ll have to update the xxxx in the S3 path to be correct):

sudo -E duplicity restore --force s3://s3.user-east-2.amazonaws.com/xxxx/MIAB/ /home/user-data/

Thank you very much, brownj! That missing slash did the trick!

Actually I am still stuck. Now getting:

Last full backup date: Wed Nov 6 03:00:10 2019
Error ‘[Errno 17] File exists’ processing ssl/ssl_certificate.pem

This leads to failure of installation of Nginx web server:

nginx.service - A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)

Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2019-11-12 15:36:45 CET; 6min ago

Docs: man:nginx(8)

Process: 28922 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/nginx -t -q -g daemon on; master_process on; (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Main PID: 28386 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Nov 12 15:36:45 mail.mailkg.com systemd[1]: Starting A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server…

Nov 12 15:36:45 mail.mailkg.com nginx[28922]: nginx: [emerg] SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file("/home/user-data/ssl/ssl_private_key

Nov 12 15:36:45 mail.mailkg.com nginx[28922]: nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

Nov 12 15:36:45 mail.mailkg.com systemd[1]: nginx.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1

Nov 12 15:36:45 mail.mailkg.com systemd[1]: nginx.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

Nov 12 15:36:45 mail.mailkg.com systemd[1]: Failed to start A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server.

:roll_eyes:

And after some playing around I’ve finally resolved it. So for the others:

After installing clean MIAB (and before restoring a backup!) you need to delete the certificate:

rm -rf /home/user-data/ssl/*

After that restore and re-run MIAB installation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.