Req: nginx config update to block xmlrpc.php attack

Checking nginx access logs, I was getting flooded with xmlrpc POSTs.

I added this code into server nginx, but was quickly removed by update. I can h4ck to update after system-checks nightly if not exists, but would rather see this added to config file.

Is this a reasonable request?

location = /xmlrpc.php {
        deny all;
        access_log off; #to prevent from filling up the access log file
    }

No, I think it would be confusing for people if their logs didn’t actually log everything.

I’m confused, is the xmlrpc.php related to a log? If not, then the response seems besides the point…

location = /xmlrpc.php {
    deny all;
}

instead of putting that code directly into /etc/nginx/conf.d/local.conf, I think, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you put that code or any code for that matter, into: /root/mailinabox/conf/nginx-alldomains.conf then do a web update. The main /etc/nginx/conf.d/local.conf will reflect your changes even if there is an update. I have not done this but looking at the files in /root/mailinabox/conf/ It looks to me like they are templates that make up the main nginx conf file.

1 Like

Very good to know, I will try and check in a couple of days to see if it reverted. It seems this would work until an updated version of MIAB itself is installed.

This topic was automatically closed after 61 days. New replies are no longer allowed.