Questions about using domains

Hi there!
I have 2 questions about using domains in a proper way.

1. I don’t want to use my domain for anything else then this MIAB setup and also keep my url short. Is it also possible to use just example.com (without any hostname) instead of box.example.com? Are there any downsides to handle it that way?

2. If I’d like to use a second domain with the same MIAB setup, do I need to buy a second IP then (for the new PTR record)?

1. I don’t know if it’s possible with MIAB, but it’s possible. Just try
  2. No, you don’t need an extra IP.

I’d recommend against it. domain.com is usually reserved for your website and this might cause issues if you are trying to host a website at domain.com. MiaB uses a sub domain on purpose, and I’d strongly advise you not do to this. Will it work, I suspect so, but then you’d not be able to use domain.com for hosting your website. If you don’t like box.DOMAIN.com you can change box to whatever you want.

As @sander-schippers said you don’t need extra IP addresses to host more domains on your MiaB. I currently have 6 on mine right now and had 8 until I moved my MiaB from an VPS to a dedicated VM server.

1 Like

I understand the idea of a short name, but a user enters only once in a while the complete hostname manually in his device (phone/tablet or what so ever).

For iOS, there are config files, so the configuration is limited to only username/password
As far as I know - i don’t use it - for the Outlook/Exchange community - there are also some auto configuration stuff.

You are free to choose a different name for ‘box’, you can name your setup for example “exchange.example.com”.

1 Like

The PTR record matches the hostname of the MIAB, not the domains hosted on the box, so NO you do not need a second IP OR second PTR…

1 Like

Thanks for all your replies!

Ok, now I finally realized how it works and why there is no additional IP needed. So then if a mail is sent from user@domain.com the receiver will get it still from the MIAB’s box.example.com, right?

I have some more questions about the same topic.
-What for there is another MX record set for box.example.com? I don’t see a real need for it, because then you have to use your mail adress the following way: user@box.example.com?

-I accidentally set my nameserver to ns1/2.example.com instead of ns1/2.box.example.com and it still works for my box.example.com MIAB setup. So it’s possible to handle it that way, too?

-I tried to create a custom CNAME entry for my example.com domain. The automatically set A record was overridden but this redirect to my DynDNS record still doesn’t work. You have an idea why?

In my case, my server is called “box.business-mail.nl”, but I’m receiving mail for “doofpot.nl”, my private domain.

Everyone communicaties to/from my private email adres (second domain) and the hostname is still box.business-mail.nl. That’s completely hidden for normal users, but only when you preview the full headers of your email, you will see de details.

Received: ⁨from authenticated-user (box.business-mail.nl [37.97.185.233]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by box.business-mail.nl (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 7F68B2A0D1C for no-spam@doofpot.nl; Sun, 11 Feb 2018 10:09:05 +0100 (CET)⁩
105E7E8F-DBD6-47D3-BCD4-B89519A0822F@devisser.nl
Delivered-To: ⁨no-spam@doofpot.nl
6821AE19-A535-404B-9635-BEA8D85FF43B@doofpot.nl

You don’t need an extra IP for different mail domains; you also don’t need an extra ip adres for an extra website.

If you use DNS from MiAB, maybe, you need a second IP adres if you use the box as primary and secondary.

In my case, I use the DNS from my uplink provider as primary and secondary, so, i just copied the DNS Settings, provided by MiAB to the uplink provider.

There is no real limit in the amount of domains and users on the box, except that the user-interface will be a little “less handy” for a lot of domains.

Good luck

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.