PGP Encryption and MIAB?

@deaftone I’m a bit confused what you are sad about…what do you want MIAB to provide? PGP encryption and decryption is done at the extreme ends of the email process i.e. in the senders MUA (Thunderbird, Outlook etc) and then again in the recipients MUA. At all points in between the message body is in an encrypted form - this true whether the message is in transit down an ethernet cable or stored on disk in the server.

Look at a raw email message that has been encrypted with PGP (on TBird in the top right corner of the message pane go More -> View Source) and you will see that the message body is encrypted (but obviously not the headers). This is exactly what the message looks like when stored on the server.

Bottom line = there is nothing any mail server needs to do for users to use PGP.

I’m going to be a bit blunt here so try to follow. It’s sad to see that this didn’t get any traction over the course of over 2 years. I don’t need you to school me on how to view headers, what PGP encrypted data looks like, or how it functions, considering I already stated that I actively use it. Yeah, I know I can use it in MUA’s such as tbird, k9, etc, like I already mentioned. What I want is server-side PGP support in Roundcube, which has been available since v1.2.0, released back in May 2016.

And you can do it, it’s just considered an unsupported modification. You’re also more than welcome to use a separate instance of Roundcube to which you have full administrative control to achieve your goal. BE BOLD AND GO NUTS.

And maybe it’s just me, but I suspect the best way to have an idea “gain traction” on a pretty actively and well maintained project such as MIAB is probably not by dredging up a 2 year old post pining away for a feature that hasn’t been added.

Bear in mind that sometimes answers are written not just for the person asking the question…there are many new, inexperienced linux users on the forum and they all benefit from explicit step-by-step instructions.

If this is a feature you really want, you could try starting a constructive discussion to drum up support and/or you could submit a PR. If that fails then you could maintain and apply your own custom patch.

Thanks. I already moved on/past MIAB to a custom solution where I don’t have to worry about updates clobbering my changes. It just goes to show that dev on this project is … meh. more power to y’all :wink: