ownCloud update, can it be done?

Is it possible to upgrade the bundled owncloud to the newest version, currently with a new install of mailinabox it says its version 13.0.6 and a new version 14.0.4 is available…

Thanks in advance.

I would avoid manually updating any one component of MIAB and wait for Josh to release a new update.

Okay, thats a shame i’d have to find an alternative to this then, hosting it for a few that doesnt appreciate the old version and the client warnings about its an unsupported version, proceed at own risk :-/

According to NextCloud’s system requirements, 14 requires Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04 recommended. So until the MIAB transition to 18.04, NextCloud will probably stay where it is.

That is incorrect. There is already a version of MIAB that is using Ubuntu LTS 18.04, you just have to download the branch for Ubuntu bionic. Not sure if it magically has the latest and greatest NextCloud, but I would definitely check it out:

$ git clone --depth=1 --single-branch -b ubuntu_bionic https://github.com/mail-in-a-box/mailinabox
$ cd mailinabox
# bash setup/start.sh

However, I don’t believe this is the “main” branch, but I believe it is at least somewhat officially supported.

Not the main branch, as seen by the -b (branch selection argument for git).

This is NOT officially supported yet, it’s only a development branch.

If you want to be able to update NextCloud, I’d suggest running it on a different server - one that can be on 18.04 with PHP7.

Thanks for your answers.

I only have one server available right now and i want to try making that into a mail/webserver/cloud for a small company, not for heavy traffic more like low traffic.

I’m gonna try what Eliter suggested to check out and see how far i get with this… My main issue is the support for PHP :-/

Didnt get that far, wont even install for me, getting

setup/questions.sh: line 95: DEFAULT_PUBLIC_IP: unbound variable

This is a common issue, and there was a solution somewhere on this forum (I can’t find link as I am on mobile atm)

As for PHP support, that can be enabled as well (search the forums!!)

I found a fix:
in file mailinabox/setup/questions.sh, on line 95 you will see:

if [[ -z "$DEFAULT_PUBLIC_IP" && ! -z "$GUESSED_IP" ]]; then

Change this line to:

if [[ -z "${DEFAULT_PUBLIC_IP:-}" && ! -z "$GUESSED_IP" ]]; then

This is what solved the problem for me, as of 13 December 2018.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.